Support Forums

Full Version: Sudden lack of speed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well a few days ago I went from getting 1.2 on SpeedTest and now I can max at 0.45. What the hell is going on? Bandwidth monitor says nothing is happening before or after i run the test and no one in the house is downloading anything.

Eset Nod32 picked up nothing.

I'm prepared to do a complete reformat since system restore is available (no points made)

I've tested the other computers in the house with the same results.

I unplugged the modem/router for 10 seconds and plugged it back in with no effect.

Some computers are wifi some (this one) are wired.

I'm at a loss for what to do...
Maybe someone else is using your WiFi? Most routers have a setting that will allow you to see everything connected to it.

If all the computers in the house are getting the same result then reformatting will do nothing.
I know that it won't now. But i prepared to do it before i tried the other computers, so i'm still prepared.

I checked connections. All that are connected is my printer my sisters desktop and myself. The only person that would be in range of the wifi would have to be on my lawn or in the house. They are not in either of those places.
Since no one has posted in a while i'll update this.

Is it possible i'm being DoSed?
(05-28-2010, 10:47 PM)IllusionSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]Well a few days ago I went from getting 1.2 on SpeedTest and now I can max at 0.45. What the hell is going on? Bandwidth monitor says nothing is happening before or after i run the test and no one in the house is downloading anything.

Eset Nod32 picked up nothing.

I'm prepared to do a complete reformat since system restore is available (no points made)

I've tested the other computers in the house with the same results.

I unplugged the modem/router for 10 seconds and plugged it back in with no effect.

Some computers are wifi some (this one) are wired.

I'm at a loss for what to do...

Well, first thing I would like to point out is speed tests aren't accurate at all. My internet company visited my house and did a speedtest on the internet and then used their special tool where they connect your cable to there machine and it test the speed from there. It showed a lot higher speed on their machine then a stupid website and they said that speedtests on websites aren't nearly as accuract. He said they can be, but you can't rely on them.
There is multiple things you can do in this situation.

1) Call your ISP and address to them, yadressour issue.

2) Check to make sure your not being used as a bot, run a system scan then post a log in the HJT section

3) Make sure no one is using your wifi.
Get wireshark or something and check your packets. see if your getting DDosed? but there prob a reason why
maybe somebody is hogging bandwith
or your using a p2p program? p2p bogs down networks bandwith severely
Grave dig much?

Also ya you can reset you're router.. That could help
Firstly make sure that your computer is not used as a bot (for DDoS or similar attacks, or just for fun). You can install "malearebytes" and run a deep scan. If you find nothing than check if your WiFi is not used by other peoples in your area. If you don't find the solution contact your ISP and ask them. ;)