Support Forums

Full Version: I fudged up!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay I just got a new DVD burner. I know that you should always shut down and remove power from your PC before installing new hardware but I didnt. It seemed to work fine but I thought I would just throw in this detail in case it is part of the problem.

The problem started today when Mozilla Firefox stopped responding. Then I open my computer and it froze as well, followed by windows explorer. The desktop turned white and the computer would do anything. I turned off the power and tried to restart. My boot manager came up and I typed in the password (hard drive is encrypted with truecrypt) Instead of booting up I was bombarded with a cascade of system errors. Since it is encrypted I could not repair the system with the windows disk. I installed windows on a second hard drive and installed truecrypt. I tried to mount my first drive, so I could decrypt the drive, but it would not mount. I shutdown my computer, and tried to boot off the drive that is messed up. Now when I try to boot off of the drive it will not even let me type in the password it just reads 'BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart'

I could use some help, so if you have any idea of what I need to do please let me know.

edit: I am running windows 7
Try and download "Ultimate Boot CD" there a some HDD tools on there that give you the option to repair a fudged up boot sector. Not sure that it will work since your drive is encrypted but, it's worth a try.
Im not really getting to far with that.
I ran a program call Recuva and I got a file that had been deleted called bootmgr that was stored in the boot directory. How do I put it back in the boot directory. I cant see it on the hard drive and I get access denied when I try to move it with CMD.
If I were you, I'd download a recovery dvd (or get one from a friend) and boot into that.
Have you tried running CMD with elavated privileges before trying to move the bootmgr file?