Support Forums

Full Version: [Guide] Don't Get Phished! Anti-Phishing Tutorial!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are YOU getting your passwords stolen?

Note: Phishing in the act of stealing someone's passwords.

If you are getting phished, or think you might be in a phishing site, READ THIS!

When you get phished, there are easy ways to tell how. Here's a list.

1.If the website does not look like the website it normally is.
2.If the website address is not what it normally is.
Examples include: The site ends in .tk
The site says http://www.h1.ripway.com/
3. If the website just straight up asks for your password.
4. If you get emails telling you to go to the site and enter your password.
5. If emails you get are sent from suspicious-looking addresses. (i.e. If you have never seen the address before)

Another topic I'd like to discuss further in depth is Ripway.
[Image: header_pt2.gif]
While it does host files, it can be very easily used for phishing.
So if you go to a site that says http://www.h1.ripway.com/ , it might be a phisher.
Ex:[Image: PhiserAddress.png]
This address is NOT Facebook's address, but the page looks legit.
[Image: Face.png]
*The above is an example of a phisher.

People can phish almost any site with a login. You just have to be aware.
This is the same page, but with a .TK address:
[Image: asdf.png]
As you see, the address is the same, but has .TK on it.
If you find a "facebook.tk" or "myspace.tk" DON'T LOG IN! It will send your password to the hacker, and then your account is stolen.

Those are just a few threats. To better protect yourself from phishing, if you have Internet Explorer, turn Microsoft's Anti-Phishing filter on. Alternatively, if you have Firefox, it will warn you when you're about to go to a suspected attack site.

There are also some VERY nice add-ons for Firefox. One of which is "Locationbar2"
What it does is grey out everything except the main domain name for the site. It will let you know where you are, which is always great.

If you have been Phished, or think you have, quickly change your password. This will prevent them from logging in to your account.
If you've already been phished, sorry. There aren't a lot of ways to get your account back without counter hacking or Whitehat** help.

(**Google Whitehat hacking if you don't know what it is. I don't condone counter hacking/)

So, when you think about it, it's really just common sense.

As Kevin Mitnick would say,
Quote:There's no patch for human stupidity...
There's a nice addon called "Locationbar2" ('2' is an exponent; google it for the addon) which greys out everything but the main domain of the page you are on, so you can easily tell if it is where you're supposed to be. I recommend adding it to your tutorial Smile
You could of explained into more detail, added screenshots etc but nevertheless good information, thanks.
I personally think that this could be an excellent guide if you added more information and pictures.

So far it's okay but it's missing a few things.
this trick is very common and ripway.....everyone knows at it
basic rule is never use someone elses link and that sites will NEVER ask you for your password
Good tutorial as Skill already mentioned put some picture demonstrating the websites that will phish you (ripaway)
Thanks, I'll rewrite and post pics & links!
Looks better Smile
Thank you all!