Support Forums

Full Version: [Help] VB.NET Games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I want to start making more advanced game in VB.NET. So far I've only created simple games like Pong, Snake & Various mazes. I'm wanting to move onto creating a more complex game (Like the Gameboys Pokemon blue/red for example, only not as long). It will have levels, collectible items, various creatures to battle and computer opponents to play. I havn't got solid plan of what it will be like but I'm hoping to go down those lines. Now like I said, I only really know the basics of making games, So I was wondering if anybody could point me towards some good advanced tutorials that I can read up on. If you could share them with me that would be a great help thanks.
Also any tips or advice you could give will also be appreciated.

Thanks,
The Major
If you are trying to make an advanced game in Vb.NET, it is too hard and I don't recommend it to you. Instead, you can try Game Maker, an application for making any game easily. Me, too, I've started to make games in VB.Net, but I changed to game maker. I've made a good game after that.
No thanks, I'm really looking to make it in VB.NET. I like a challenge.

Thanks anyway though.
I can imagine for a game like pokemon all you would need to do is create a lot of maps and sprites and stuff.

After than you use they keydown event and keyup event to move the character sprite.

Then depending on how you want your game to be you would use random number generators and if statements to perform your own tasks and events.
Yes, actually a game like pokemon isn't the most advanced game. You won't have any problem coding it in VB.NET, supposing you know a lot about classes. However, for other games that require rotating sprites and advanced collision checking game maker is much better.
Thanks guys. Well I've found a couple of tutorials so I will be reading up on those.
By advanced I kind of just meant a real game with a story line rather than Pong, & Snake like I'm used to coding.

Thanks.
But are you talking Zelda GBA or WoW PC?
What? I'm talking Pokemon Gameboy color. If you're asking what I am wanting my game to be similar in style to.
(05-06-2010, 02:17 PM)daneasaur Wrote: [ -> ]I can imagine for a game like pokemon all you would need to do is create a lot of maps and sprites and stuff.

After than you use they keydown event and keyup event to move the character sprite.

Then depending on how you want your game to be you would use random number generators and if statements to perform your own tasks and events.

Yes, this idea ...
I like the idea of the arrow key