Support Forums

Full Version: [TUT] How to edit "Hosts" file easily
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[TUT] How to edit "Hosts" file easily

Today, as I was trying to download Photoshop CS5. I realized that I can't edit my hosts file, as access was denied. So, I decided to create a little shoutcut that could help me edit the host file, while running the same file as an administrator.

1) Create a new "Shortcut" on your desktop,
[Image: 14seg4y.png]

2) Type the program you want the file to open in and the hosts file location - Then click next;
notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
[Image: 2r7m590.png]

3) Type the name for the shortcut & click finish
[Image: wpkjp.png]

4) Once completed, find the shortcut you created on the desktop, right click and run as administrator. You'll now be able to edit your hosts file with no hassles anytime you want!
[Image: 2mcburp.png]
hmmm makes sense but i think just going to the directory and editing seems easier that typing up the shortcut and everything
Nice tutorial, but I'm not sure why I would need to edit this file to download something. Plus, I was able to open this in notepad without running it as admin or anything else.
Good tutorial, but you could do like this too:

Open Run and paste notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts then press enter.

Anyway thanks !
WoW, thanks for the great tut.
good Tut... I'm downloading adobe cs5 master collection right now... tnx for that... it would help a lot..
Wow, thanks for you Tut!
Really great!Big Grin
It's good but I don't think you would use it that often that you need a shortcut for it.
(05-13-2010, 02:03 AM)daneasaur Wrote: [ -> ]It's good but I don't think you would use it that often that you need a shortcut for it.

Yea, but if it's the first time you edit it, you probably want to have it just with a " double click " don't you ? ;p
What a nice tutorial mate,i like it and may use it in future,thanks.