Support Forums

Full Version: Preferred desktop environment when using Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys.
What's y'all's preferred desktop environment?
To be honest, I have only used GNOME and KDE. I have very, very little experience with XCFE (as in, 5 minutes). Out of GNOME and KDE, I preferred KDE. It was a lot more user friendly for someone new to Linux, imo, and also looked sleeker.
I also like KDE better than Gnome, but I am wondering what is Linux Mint using?
(04-22-2010, 12:22 PM)The Voice Wrote: [ -> ]I also like KDE better than Gnome, but I am wondering what is Linux Mint using?

By default, Mint uses GNOME. However, KDE, Fluxbox, LXDE, and XFCE are all available in community editions.
I like gnome more than KDE. I also like to use Openbox.
I prefer OS X on my personal machine. I also have Windows 7 on my work machines.
(04-22-2010, 01:39 PM)Heli0s Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer OS X on my personal machine. I also have Windows 7 on my work machines.

OK, sorry.. I thought it would be obvious, but I meant desktop environments that are common to Linux flavors.

Note: I don't mean to sound rude with "I thought it would be obvious". Just shows I shouldn't assume.
I use Gnome and LXDE. I love KDE to death! But it isn't stable, and takes too much resources. LXDE still has that flashyness of KDE and its superlight. I use it on my 1.4ghz laptop. Gnome i find perfect. Sure its basic, but i love it. No extra crap.
LXDE, from the screenshots I am seeing, looks too much like Windows Sad
(04-22-2010, 04:51 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: [ -> ]LXDE, from the screenshots I am seeing, looks too much like Windows Sad

KDE itself is a lot windowish like. LXDE just rips what makes KDE stand out from windows because its bloat. If you rip all the flash out of KDE, you have a Vista UI.
When it comes to looks; I prefer using KDE. When it comes to performance and stability; I prefer using Gnome. Smile
Pages: 1 2