Support Forums

Full Version: HDD as a motor.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Help! I need to figure out how to set up a HDD motor (stepper) to work, but i'm really clueless wen it comes to this, also i want to do it with just 4 AA batteries. If someone could find a video explaining how to do it, that would be helpful.
Motor for what though? Steppers have to be operated through ASM I think.
True but there are Stepper Motor Controllers pretty small out there. Think I should use that, and its for a vehicle that i'm building. School project. Goes a certain distance, as fast as it can. With that in mind a 7,200 rpm motor would do me nice. Only if I could get it moving.
(10-04-2009, 01:26 PM)Keyreaper Wrote: [ -> ]True but there are Stepper Motor Controllers pretty small out there. Think I should use that, and its for a vehicle that i'm building. School project. Goes a certain distance, as fast as it can. With that in mind a 7,200 rpm motor would do me nice. Only if I could get it moving.

Well, you could use a small programmable controller and use ASM to make it run continuously or something.
(10-04-2009, 01:26 PM)Keyreaper Wrote: [ -> ]True but there are Stepper Motor Controllers pretty small out there. Think I should use that, and its for a vehicle that i'm building. School project. Goes a certain distance, as fast as it can. With that in mind a 7,200 rpm motor would do me nice. Only if I could get it moving.

Yes, but when it's going at 7,200 rpms it has pretty much no friction and a tiny amount of weight behind it. It's not made for vehicles.
A HDD might have insufficient power, it's only designed to move the disk itself. If I were to build a super fast mini-vehicle, I'd try tearing apart an angle grinder and see where I could go from there as they are extremely powerful. That would need a heck of a power supply, though.
You want to use a hard drive to power a car? That was my first thought lmao
Like they said, the stepper motor has almost no torque behind it so anything heavier than an HD platter will make it not move.
That angle grinder looks vicious, I would try to find one of them lol
ANGLE GRINDERS ARE DANGEROUS do not play with em u can cut ur hands off with it
Pages: 1 2