Support Forums

Full Version: y = mx + b , point slope formula, y2 - y1 over x2 - x1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I've been having a tutor for the past week or two. I had no background in geometry nor algebra (I've done it, just blew it off). I'm trying to understand these three things more straightly. Because every time the tutor comes to my house, he has to refresh my memory with the "y = mx + b", "y2 - y2 (over) x2 - x1", and the "point slope formula. My question is, is there a way that this can be permanently injected into my brain? I'll even go for a song. I just need to get this down, because my tutor gets pissed when I go brain dead after he explained the exact same thing to me a day earlier.

Thanks.
For me, I found those the easiest to remember. Repetition helps. When you are faced with a graph, use your formulas. I used to also use them as my passwords for things when I was in school and trying to remember. Also have someone in your house hold on to your extra money. Then have it set up for it to be that you have to recite your formulas before you are awarded with your money.
(04-06-2010, 07:08 AM)Whizdom™ Wrote: [ -> ]For me, I found those the easiest to remember. Repetition helps. When you are faced with a graph, use your formulas. I used to also use them as my passwords for things when I was in school and trying to remember. Also have someone in your house hold on to your extra money. Then have it set up for it to be that you have to recite your formulas before you are awarded with your money.

Thanks. I know I can remember the y = mx + b formula, but when he asks for "what is the slope, and y intercept" I get lost. But right now, I'm trying to memorize m = slope and b = y intercept. I might use it as a password, what did you use as the password? Wouldn't it be insanely long?
(04-06-2010, 07:10 AM)php Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. I know I can remember the y = mx + b formula, but when he asks for "what is the slope, and y intercept" I get lost. But right now, I'm trying to memorize m = slope and b = y intercept. I might use it as a password, what did you use as the password? Wouldn't it be insanely long?

I used to use things like "y=mx+b", " "y2-y1/x2-x1", "slopemx", different things like that. The money thing really helped me too. My mom was merciless with it, as I wanted her to be lol. After a couple missed hang out opportunities with friends due to my lack of money, I had my formulas down pat.
(04-06-2010, 07:15 AM)Whizdom™ Wrote: [ -> ]I used to use things like "y=mx+b", " "y2-y1/x2-x1", "slopemx", different things like that. The money thing really helped me too. My mom was merciless with it, as I wanted her to be lol. After a couple missed hang out opportunities with friends due to my lack of money, I had my formulas down pat.

I might talk to my grandfather about doing this Big Grin

Thanks for the reply.
(04-06-2010, 07:20 AM)php Wrote: [ -> ]I might talk to my grandfather about doing this Big Grin

Thanks for the reply.

No problem. Smile
Personally talking, I had the same problem.. You get used to it.. It just gets harder from there.
do it over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again like what our geometry teacher did to us, I still remember...or maybe it was because she was really hot x.x
That stuff is so easy, Let me know if you need any help

Feel free to PM for assistance.
I actually just memorized that formula when I learned about it. It just kind of came natural to me. This is actually a pretty short formula compared to others.
Pages: 1 2 3 4