Support Forums

Full Version: Flavors of linux...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having trouble deciding what flavor of Linux I should dual-boot install on my Lenovo T42. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. "Just shut up and put Ubuntu on it!", but I really haven't messed around with other flavors and I'm really interested in trying something else. Any suggestions?

Everybody says just wait for the new Ubuntu in April and dual boot that, which I find myself doing if nobody gives me a better alternative.

If you think it all depends on what I'll be using it for, I'm a college student studying Computer Science and Computer Information Systems, so it'll probably be used for coding when it's not being used for other internet-like activity Ninja

I appreciate all the input.
Ubuntu may not be necessary...plus on a not-so powerful system, you're probably just wasting resources. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but Arch is an idea for a minimal distro. Avoiding a desktop environment and going for a window manager instead could save a lot of resources. Really, it's what you want to be bothered doing. It can take a while to set all this up if you've never done it. Just takes some time and the ArchWiki. If you want something quicker, more 'working-out-of-the-box' type of distro, you can try out xubuntu, which is supposed to be lightweight. There's lubuntu, too...my information on lubuntu is limited. Fedora kind of similar to Ubuntu, just less bloated...or was. I hear g4143 praising Mandriva before...and I know a couple people using Sabayon. Just some ideas to look into.
I have been using Backtrack 4 and I love it!
Give it a look, at least.
(04-05-2010, 11:21 PM)Psycho Wrote: [ -> ]Ubuntu may not be necessary...plus on a not-so powerful system, you're probably just wasting resources. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but Arch is an idea for a minimal distro. Avoiding a desktop environment and going for a window manager instead could save a lot of resources. Really, it's what you want to be bothered doing. It can take a while to set all this up if you've never done it. Just takes some time and the ArchWiki. If you want something quicker, more 'working-out-of-the-box' type of distro, you can try out xubuntu, which is supposed to be lightweight. There's lubuntu, too...my information on lubuntu is limited. Fedora kind of similar to Ubuntu, just less bloated...or was. I hear g4143 praising Mandriva before...and I know a couple people using Sabayon. Just some ideas to look into.
Mind you, it's an older T42 running a centrino processor. I need a lightweight flavor, so I'm diggin' your suggestions Psycho. Thanks a bunch.