Support Forums

Full Version: What would you recommend I put for the 'maximum message length' count?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello.
Well, obviously I want a limit, 'cause I don't want random trolls to go around spamming HUGE messages on my forum. What would y'all recommend for this value?

Thanks!
I would like to know if your site will have threads such as tutorials as they tend to be quite large when properly typed.
(04-05-2010, 07:05 PM)S1cKL3R Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to know if your site will have threads such as tutorials as they tend to be quite large when properly typed.

No, it won't. There'll be posting of videos and stories, though. Stories as in, recounts of past experiences.. not novels. So, keeping in mind recounts & video descriptions.
(04-05-2010, 07:08 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: [ -> ]No, it won't. There'll be posting of videos and stories, though. Stories as in, recounts of past experiences.. not novels. So, keeping in mind recounts & video descriptions.

Then I would say around 1000 characters?

Do threads need to be longer?
(04-05-2010, 07:09 PM)S1cKL3R Wrote: [ -> ]Then I would say around 1000 characters?

Do threads need to be longer?

It's hard for me to predict.
I'll put 1k, and if I or other members run into problems, they can inform me. Thanks.
2,000 is a nice number, I used that on my old graphics forum. No complaints, ever.
(04-05-2010, 07:09 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: [ -> ]It's hard for me to predict.
I'll put 1k, and if I or other members run into problems, they can inform me. Thanks.

I figure the only way someone can really spam a thread with more characters would be to do this:

and that is easily detectable.
Well it depends, some people need walls of text but others just spam and to take a full post of spam is horrible. It depends if you will ban the spammers then set it high, if you want a clean and automatic forum that cares for itself then set it to allow a littlebit more than a tutorials length. (where they can then Double Post for more)
(04-05-2010, 07:11 PM)Deities Wrote: [ -> ]Well it depends, some people need walls of text but others just spam and to take a full post of spam is horrible. It depends if you will ban the spammers then set it high, if you want a clean and automatic forum that cares for itself then set it to allow a littlebit more than a tutorials length. (where they can then Double Post for more)

Of course I will ban spammers.. a forum can't run itself; what do you mean 'automatic' forum?
I would recommend at least a sentence. Probably about 30-50 characters.
Pages: 1 2