Support Forums

Full Version: Hosting Your OWN Servers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Where do you buy servers? I have been looking into it and i am interested, anybody know?
You can host a server on your own computer (must be on 24/7)
you can buy a dedicated server
you can buy a VPS
you can buy shared hosting.

If you want a whole server, Google "dedicated servers for sale"
(04-05-2010, 05:21 PM)Deities Wrote: [ -> ]You can host a server on your own computer (must be on 24/7)
you can buy a dedicated server
you can buy a VPS
you can buy shared hosting.

If you want a whole server, Google "dedicated servers for sale"

I want a dedi.
But how can you actually get .com domains. Like, where do they come from?
(04-05-2010, 08:49 PM)php Wrote: [ -> ]But how can you actually get .com domains. Like, where do they come from?

Just to inform you these member's are banned and can't reply.
(04-05-2010, 08:50 PM)Irelandrulz2 Wrote: [ -> ]Just to inform you these member's are banned and can't reply.

Sorry, just realized that.

Well, I'm still trying to figure this out.
php, I remember I was wondering about the same. Second I'll post a link where I read about it.

Here:
Quote:The rights of the registries derive from ICANN, which operates the root domain servers. The registries (.com, .net, .us, .uk, etc.) each maintain DNS servers that "resolve" names within their top-level domain (.com, for example, is a top-level domain). Ultimate control resides with ICANN, as DNS servers and resolvers are (almost always) set-up to use the ICANN root servers as their origin.

At one time, you dealt with the registries directly to register a domain name. They were at first free, and then at some point started charging money. Later, the "registrar" system was created. A registrar is basically an agent for one or more (typically most) of the registries, and handles ordering, payment, and customer service.

I don't think there's any LAW that establishes any of this. (Webwork?) It's technically possible to set-up a parallel domain-name system completely outside of the ICANN structure, and, in fact, it's been done - with little traction ever gained outside of a core of crazed hobbyists. You have to go poking around in funny places in Windows, Linux, etc. to be able to use an alternative DNS system.

So, it's really all based on convention, and grew organically (and "like topsy") out of the domain-name system originally created as part of ARPANet.

I'd post the link to the forum where this was posted, but the rules says no advertising of similiar site and its a webmaster forum. Sorry.

EDIT: And you may read this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name
(04-05-2010, 08:49 PM)php Wrote: [ -> ]But how can you actually get .com domains. Like, where do they come from?

If you seriously don't know where a domain comes from, you really aren't ready for a dedicated server....

EDIT: Forget that, I thought you were the OP.
Im not banned. Any help?

A domain registrar.

OP,
Many webhosting services have dedicated servers for sale.
Pages: 1 2