Support Forums

Full Version: I am so disappointed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
OK, a friend and I were running a forum.. some of y'all even reviewed it. It had 48 users and a lot of content had been posted for a new forum. Well, my friend and I, being the noobs we are, didn't have a back up of the FTP or databases. The server providers of our host started taking down random sites and would not negotiate with the person whom we bought the hosting from. So, the guy switched servers and is now saying the data is unrecoverable. This is a real blow to the groin. All the custom MyCodes that were made, the plugins we installed, the modifications to the theme, everything is gone. We realize we should have made periodic backups, but we're still learning. We're going to wait till our inspiration gets back up before starting it again.. but dam.n, this just sucks.
So your host has no backups at all from any point? Did you have an SLA or agreement of any form?
That sounds like a really really slack host and definitely not worth the few $$$ you might have saved by going with them. Next time make sure you find a host you can trust ;)
I suppose it's a lesson learnt, always always always back up!
Omg that sucks Sad, what will you do now, start from scrap again? or do something different?.
That does suck Elektrisk. Me and a friend are going to be starting up a forum very soon hopefully as well. Mind sharing what Hosting/domain company this was?
That's unfortunate. I myself always keep 3 backups of the forum and another copy of our FTP files for safe keeping.
Sorry to hear that man. Good luck with your future in-devours
I know that sucks, Happen to me the other day but at least I had a 2 day old backup so all I lost was 12 members. 400 posts.

But um, Your best advice from now on is to keep a updated backup. Your Mybb even backups the database. So really just do a code backup once a week. I only added 1 plugin which I had so I could add that back.

But keep them backups Tongue

Um, my host also does a file/database backup that's how I got my forum back once those hackers got me 2 days ago.
(04-04-2010, 09:59 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]So your host has no backups at all from any point? Did you have an SLA or agreement of any form?
That sounds like a really really slack host and definitely not worth the few $$$ you might have saved by going with them. Next time make sure you find a host you can trust ;)

It wasn't a professional host. It was some guy selling very cheap hosting on Hackforums. -_-
I didn't sign a contract or anything of the sort.. probably just a general ToS.
It was only $1.50 split two ways, so .75 cents.. I'm more bummed about the data loss.

(04-05-2010, 04:31 PM)Irelandrulz2 Wrote: [ -> ]That does suck Elektrisk. Me and a friend are going to be starting up a forum very soon hopefully as well. Mind sharing what Hosting/domain company this was?

The domain company is irrelevant, but we got it from dynadot.
The host was 1337hosting (Snazzy's hosting on HF).

aiir Wrote:what will you do now, start from scrap again? or do something different?.

Start from scratch again. We have a very, very good niche. There is no other forum like ours.
I'm going to contact my partner today about starting it up again.
That sucks, that's why I always do backups when I'm in the business.
Pages: 1 2 3