Support Forums

Full Version: I'm thinking of switching from Kubuntu to XP.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Sighface :|
I really wanted to like Linux, and I do, but I know everything I need to know about XP to quickly do what I want to do. With [K]ubuntu, I have to google around, find someone that's had the same problem as me, hope their solution is my solution, deal with configuring system settings that I don't understand, trying to figure out the terminal, dealing with the shi.tty beta version of Skype, deal with my favorite app, Launchy, not working properly, and so on. Is it reasonable to switch back to XP because of this? [K]ubuntu is faster on my computer, but I don't see why that matters if I spend double the time trying to figure out how to do what I want to do.
I say stick with it. Most of the fun is Linux is learning about just that; a whole new operating environment. I used to use Windows alot, but now with Fedora which I've been using the past few months, I've learnt so much. And the beta version of skype isn't that bad, it works fine for me. Do you have a problem with your audio? If so; that's to do with Alsa. Ubuntu and Skype don't go. That's also half of your problem, Ubuntu. Swap to Fedora, I garauntee you'll love it.
OK, as was probably obvious, I already had my mind made up before posting this thread. It was mainly a vent. However, I have taken your suggestion into mind. I'm switching to XP, BUT when XP pisses me off (which it will; it always does) and I get the desire to switch to Linux, Fedora is the first I'll try. Thanks Tongue
Try skype on Gnome, i've had no issues.
(03-29-2010, 07:15 PM)41Shots Wrote: [ -> ]Try skype on Gnome, i've had no issues.

I doubt the desktop environment matters.
Well I have 2 OS installed XP and Edubuntu and I'm satisfied.
(03-30-2010, 12:54 AM)Elektrisk Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt the desktop environment matters.

Well another question, were you using PulseAudio? (Also it does. Hence why there is such a difference in Kubuntu programs to Ubuntu programs)
(03-30-2010, 06:31 PM)41Shots Wrote: [ -> ]Well another question, were you using PulseAudio? (Also it does. Hence why there is such a difference in Kubuntu programs to Ubuntu programs)

I don't remember.. I'm pretty sure I was.

Well, I mean, why would Skype function differently in Gnome than KDE? It's the same package.
(03-30-2010, 07:30 PM)Elektrisk Wrote: [ -> ]I don't remember.. I'm pretty sure I was.

Well, I mean, why would Skype function differently in Gnome than KDE? It's the same package.

At times some programs just are made for a different environment. As i said, i and maupo use skype on gnome, no issues at all, (related to skype at least) And Pulse audio is crap. You should've switched to ALSA or OSS.
(03-30-2010, 08:02 PM)41Shots Wrote: [ -> ]At times some programs just are made for a different environment. As i said, i and maupo use skype on gnome, no issues at all, (related to skype at least) And Pulse audio is crap. You should've switched to ALSA or OSS.

That's what I was trying to say above; although, I worded it wrong. I meant to say swap to Alsa Tongue

Quote:Do you have a problem with your audio? If so; that's to do with Alsa.
Pages: 1 2 3