Support Forums

Full Version: Computer won't boot Windows XP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
About a week ago my ASUS began to give me quite a bit of difficulty. It was failing to boot, and displayed only a black screen after the motherboards splash screen. I began by attempting a simple reformat with the original Windows XP disk. BSOD was spasmodically showing up during formatting, so I just kept at it until it was successful. Regardless, my computer failed to boot even still. I decided to give DBAN a try. After wiping the hard drive entirely I ran some diagnostics on my hard disk and memory with no errors. When I tried formatting again, it consistently BSOD'd me right before prompting to either make repairs or format the drive with the following error:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

0x00000050 (0xF87C04AB, 0x00000000, 0xF77B94AB, 0x00000000)

partmgr.sys - address F87C04AB base at F87BE000, datestamp 00000000

I took a shortcut by (successfully) formatting the hard drive in my other computer. After popping that drive back into it's original box and trying to boot up once more, I was greeted only with my previous encounter.

I also restored the BIOS settings and gave a Windows startup diskette a try... Nothing. Really the only thing I can say I'm aware of that I haven't tried is a motherboard diagnostic.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Considering you successfully formatted on another computer, we've ruled out the issue being the hard drive itself.

These issues tend to be along the lines of the motherboard, CPU, and/or RAM failing.

One thing to try, to rule out an obviously bad motherboard, is to pop open the case and look at the capacitors. ALL of them on the board, even ones near the processor [in some Dell cases you have to lift up on the plastic covering going from CPU to case fan].

Here is what they should look like:
[Image: dell-transistor-good.jpg]

Here is what a BAD capacitor looks like (or worse):
[Image: dell-transistor-broken.jpg]

Notice that even if there is a slight bulge, it's bad. Sometimes all you can see is the separation between the slits on the top, which also indicates a bad "cap."

Report back on results, so we can at least rule one thing out.

***Remember to properly ground yourself!*** ^_^
I had this a few weeks back. I took off the case, blew all the dust away from everywhere, Straightened out resistors, made sure everything was clean and then closed it back up. Everything was then fine. Also try taking out the RAM, blowing it and then putting it back in. ;D
The CD might just be corrupted.
It's got something to do with your memory... first replace the RAM.. if not, its your motherboard.. check for symptoms on your MB like the JAPANMAN suggested... Good luck..
Hey mate.. Did you solve this issue ?? I suddenly started facing the same issues Blink+
Try buying win7 man if you want i have one for sale $60 also come with a kkeycode
Re install whole os , make sure to change SATA / AHCI option , whichever best suits your HDD