Support Forums

Full Version: Hard drive Help please!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 that had a corrupt Hard drive I replaced it and installed windows, It worked for five minutes and crashed again... Any suggestions? I really want this backup laptop to work but I can't! I know it's older but a backup is always good.
I had the same problem. Never worked it out 100%
Download SETools for DOS (google it) and boot from the cd
run either a quick scan or a full scan (will take a some time depending on size, but i reccomend)
This will eliminate HDD as a problem if its ok, download memtest86 (google again) and boot from the iso. This will test your RAM and hopefully eliminate it.
If all this stuff is ok, call dell because it will probably be your motherboard.

BTW try running windows with only the BASE requirements. By this I mean CD drive UNPLUGGED and any other non-compolsorary bits are not connected. Run a stress test, see if it fucks out. If its ok then run 2 hour stress tests by plugging in one more component that was unplugged each time. Hopefully this will eliminate everything else!
Thanks I will look into these programs and get to work, I was also thinking a lightweight Ubuntu install maybe?
Try that
Msgtoshort
Steedstekort.