Support Forums

Full Version: MyBB, what should I know?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright, this website construction mumbo jumbo has been sparking my interests lately, and I'll tell you one thing. I have zero to little knowledge in it.

Let's say I wanted to make a forum powered by MyBB. What sort of skills should I invest in? PHP? MySQL? CSS? HTML? As if right now, I only have knowledge in HTML, max.
Also, what do I have to download besides the MyBB files on their official site? I've seen people using XAMPP, what exactly is that?

And look, I know this doesn't take a day or two to learn, but how long did it actually take you guys to learn the concepts of site construction? I'm sure you learn from your mistakes and learn as you go.
To install and setup MyBB you need practically nothing. All you need really is a host and an FTP client (such as FileZilla). Take a look at this tutorial: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-64854.html

If you want to design your own theme (there are plenty of downloadable ones though) you need HTML/CSS. If you want to make your own plugin for something you will need PHP/MySQL.

If you want to install a copy of MyBB on your local computer rather than a web server you can use XAMPP.

Above all if you need help there is always the MyBB general support forum http://community.mybboard.net/forum-81.html or here.

In terms of times it takes to learn things, it depends a lot on what you mean by site construction. There is a huge difference between the skills required to install the software, theming the software and developing plugins. The first time it will probably take about half an hour to install MyBB with pretty much no prior knowledge, if you have done it a few times it will take you 5 minutes max.
Thanks a lot for this information. I think I have a good amount of understanding now.
Yes as said, to setup MyBB you don't need any special knowledge.

I'm happy everything cleared up for you.
MyBB is easy to learn. It's a very user-friendly program.

If you join MyBBCentral.net I believe there tutorials on how to do everything.