Support Forums

Full Version: Which Programming Language Should I Learn?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, Don't start flaming me, I really can't decide which I should start learning.
My top picks are C++ and Python.

I really would like to learn C++ because I feel that it can do a lot of things I want, for example making a Botnet (without malicious intent) or maybe even making some type of game.

But I have also read up on Python and it seems good too.

I am downloading Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 right now.
But I can always switch to my other partition (Ubuntu) for Python.

I'm not sure if it matters, but I am gonna major in Computer Science in College, I think I might learn some C++ there but I am not sure?
Well it all depends on your college but a lot of places will have you do C++ or Java because let's face it that's where the market is. I think you should learn Python, it is great to begin with. It is short simple and easy. I'm not quite sure about botnets but pygame Is supposedly very easy. Python is a great introduction to logic and just programming in general and once you understand the basic's it's easy to create GUI's etc. Also after a while you will find that if you have an idea there is more often then not a way to do it in python. If you do choose to learn Python I will be glad to help you on whatever it is your goals are. If this is your first experience with real programming, I strongly suggest Python. Blackhat
That's one reason I would like to start learning C++, It might help me in College and almost anything can be made with it. I have heard that Python is really easy to learn and that is one reason I was planning on learning it.

I will contact you if I choose Python.
Thanks for your input.
x]
(02-21-2010, 04:01 PM)-NitroX Wrote: [ -> ]I really would like to learn C++ because I feel that it can do a lot of things I want, for example making a Botnet (without malicious intent) or maybe even making some type of game.

Do you know anything about programming? If not then I would recommend you first look at C#, it has a C-like syntax and is generally easier to use than C++ plus it has XNA which you can use to make games.

I'm not saying C++ is bad, C++ is very good and is my favourite and most widely used programming language. I'm just saying that learning C++ without knowing anything about programming concepts is like running over a mindfield and hoping you don't get blown up.

If you can get C#, then you will be amazed when you go to C++ at the power you get from it; given it's closer to the metal so you have to do more things yourself, but that also gives you a great deal of flexibility.
Programming? Very little.
MSL/Batch is the only thing that might come close. Haha.

I might look into C# instead. I understand what you mean, but learning one is pretty much the other isn't it? I thought C++ was just a Modified (added to) C#. So really it's just more powerful, not that much harder to learn.
That reminds me. If you do decide to learn Python first it will also help you when you have to learn Java or .NET because Python can be "glued" into other languages. Take a look at Jython and Iron Python. Python can also be embedded into C. Although once you learn Python you may become "spoiled" and not really enjoy writing programs with long syntax, I recommend just reading up on both languages and seeing which one suits you best
(02-21-2010, 04:56 PM)-NitroX Wrote: [ -> ]I thought C++ was just a Modified (added to) C#.
C# is a managed language that runs inside the .NET virtual machine and features automatic garbage collection. It is a high level language with C++ like syntax.

C++ is an unmanaged language that runs natively on your machine. It is a middle level language and being closer to the metal makes you do manual memory management (although you can use smart pointers are RAII to mitigate this).

So no C++ is not a modified C#, not by a long shot. C++ has been around since the 80's, but C# didn't appear until 2001. It is the fact that C# is run in a virtual machine (so protects you from a lot of errors, or at least makes debugging easier) and the fact that it has automatic memory management that make C# easier to get started with; but by comparison its lack of direct access to memory makes it less powerful if you know how to correctly exploit the features of C++ (which someone starting with programming won't, and will likely just make a mess the first time they see a pointer). I learnt C# before moving on C++ and can comfortably code in both (although I am better at C++, but that's just because I use it more); XNA is a pretty beast too.
Ah, I meant just C.. Not C#. Sorry.
I was going off of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B
You should just learn Python for now. Jumping into C++ with no prior programming experience will be very difficult.
Then jumping from Python to C++ will be a pain since the syntax is completely different; if you want to end up using a language with C-style syntax, it makes more sense to start with a language that also has C-style syntax. I'm currently trying to go the other way from C++ to Python for one of my assignments, it's weird syntax but the programming logic is the same.