Support Forums

Full Version: New to unemployment...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

turnip

Hi all!

My name is turniip and last September my husband was laid off from his job. They gave us a heads up, 6 months in advance so at least we knew what to expect. And he got severance pay until December 31st and we could collect unemployment while doing that so we have a nice stash in savings.

We have three kids that go to private school. I play piano and organ for the attached church to pay for their tuition, we use to tithe enormously to help pay tuition and now I am the school secretary to help pay.

I also manage two apartment buildings for my dad, who owns them and facilitate a celebrate recovery group. I was a community activist but gave it up due to me just being too busy.

I know it's hard for everyone right now but I need a place to emote where people understand. Our marriage...the kids...trying to keep it all together so it's easier on us. But it's not easy.

We have been unemployed before. Right after our marriage, he was released from another job and Godo used him in other areas at that time. But we didn't have kids.

The stress is playing itself out on everyone.

I have a dog with a lame foot that needs to get xrayed but it costs $1k and we don't have that money - at least my husband won't spend it on her. My eyes itch so much it's sometimes hard to see.

Whine. Whine. Whiine. The list could go on forever.

Trying to remember to count my blessings ~ I know my life sounds idyllic.

Sorry if I have offended anyone.
ok? Life goes on Smile welcome by the way
Welcome to Support forums, good luck on your life!
Welcome to the site.

I think by your description that of course you're in lean times but sounsd like you have space to cut back such as the private schools. Did you husband work in tech by chance?

You could cut the private school and either be employed by the school for a salary or get another job.

As for the dog...probably not worth the $1k to x-ray only to find out to fix it will be more money. So think about that too.

btw I am a stay-at-home dad with 4 kids.