Support Forums

Full Version: Help Choosing a Laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's been a long time since I've been up-to-date with processor clock speeds and all that crap.
Anyway, I was looking at a few laptops, and I noticed that a few of them have the new i7 cores. I've only briefly glanced at these and have no idea how the clock speed is actually measured. Normally I would be able to work this out, but I came across something saying it was:
Dodgey eBay Ad Wrote:The New i7 Quad Core powerful processor with Turbo 2.8GHz processor

But then further down it said:
Some more official looking table Wrote:Intel® Quad Core™ i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)

So is the clock speed 2.8 or 1.6?
How does it compare to my Q6600 (quad core @ 2.4ghz)?

Here is the original advertisement if your interested. I will probably buy something similar.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-HP-DV6T-Quad-...922wt_1165
INB4 eBay is full of scammers. Thats only if you don't know what your doing.
No one at all?
well i dont own one, but from what i hear, the 2.8 i7 is an extremely good processor. Most of my friends use them for heavy gaming. As far as your quad goes, even if its only slightly older, i would say that the i7 is better
The eBay page you provided has an intel i7 720QM processor type. As far as i know that I7 processors have the boost technology in which it overclocks the cpu easily with no overheating problem.

In your case, eBay page says it's 2.8Ghz, thats true when it boosts up from 1.6Ghz to 2.8Ghz, and thats what Intel TM call it "Boost Technology". So depending on the application you are using the CPU will boost from 1.6 to 2.00Ghz, or if you are playing high-end game it will probably boost up to 2.8Ghz and thats your maximum it wont go any further. So eBay seller is not lying, the CPU maximum Freq is 2.8Ghz, and minmium is 1.6Ghz.

Therefore, im here worried about cooling/heating, because laptops are not good enough when it comes to heating stuff. But with Boost Technology" you will find your laptop smoother and faster.

Briefly here's the difference between the old processors and the new I7 processors, the old CPU's are running at constant frequency it wont change whether you playing a game or in stand by mode, while I7 the frequency speed varies depending on the application you are running. Generally, I7 cores are so strong and it's more than enough to run any game or application so dont worry about the speed.

here are some good info you may want to read:

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/...ations.htm

http://communities.intel.com/message/81521
1.7ghz is a low power state I believe and your CPU will boost into a "turbo" mode when required.

The old 486's used to have a similar feature.

Could also be just a typo on their part.

I'll have to read up on the new i7s.
Yeah I read an article yesterday but didn't get time to post it.
I wonder if it could be changed manually, I would imagine there would be options in the power saving menu.
I think I might go ahead and buy this thing, and try to sell bits off my other computer. My CPU, GPU and one of the hard drives work fine. I'll be testing the RAM tonight. If thats fine then i'll have to run a few diagnostics on the HDD (SeaTools for DOS kept freakin up, need a new program), if all that equipment passes then it will point towards my mobo. Which will just piss me off... so hard to return the POS!!