Support Forums

Full Version: Hard drive needs to be sent back?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recently, I've been having extreme system lag problems.
So much so, that I can't log into windows. Literally, it hangs on the instant of the blank screen between the "starting windows" loading .gif, and the "welcome" log on screen.
I am 99% sure its my Hard drive, because after a format the computer can work for a couple of days too a couple of weeks!
I tried to troubleshoot using fedora, and found that my HDD had been formatted as HTFS/NTFS. Apparently HTFS is mac, but I have never touched that vile software.
Whilst I was just formatting via the Windows 7 Ultimate install disc, it would work for a maximum of two days, sometimes it would stop after the 1st restart.
Then I tried nuking the hard-drive. Up until 10 minutes ago I thought it had worked! But apparently not.
The first time I fixed it, I managed to install rainmeter, restart and get a bit of a clue about the problem.
I left the computer for about 20 minutes and when it finally logged in and rainmeter loaded, I could see that my CPU had a 20% load and my RAM was at 80%. This is extremly rare for me as the CPU idles on 0-1% running a few startup programs (anti-virus, msn, steam, etc etc) Photoshop may raise it 1 or 2 percent.
Ram is rarely ever above 20% on startup and 40% on a large load.
I am pretty damn sure that its my hardware issue because of the fact that it was temporarily fixed after a format, as well as after a nuke.
I was pointed towards my HDD because it was the only thing I had changed of recent. My last one had burnt out completely just before, hence the reason I got a new one!
Disconnecting anything that wasn't required (physically) wouldn't stop the problem, including different types sticks and slots of RAM. DVD and secondary HDD were disconnected and the problem still persisted.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to rage quit and take the HDD back to the store and scream until I get a new one. But I thought I better post here to see if anyone has any further thoughts/suggestions... I'm really getting the shits.
Hmmm. Its temporarily fixed after a format?
I would have thought that illuminates the drive?
I say this simply because of the time it takes to load an OS. Thats pretty solid load time on the drive and if it can do that then perhaps its still ok? Dunno.
What temps are you running at?
Have you tried running a different graphics card by any chance?
How old is the drive again?
All the hardware has been used for about 2 years now on a pretty stable system.
Temperatures are all normal as the computer doesn't shut down, and the BIOS doesn't seem to indicate anything out of the ordinary.
Damn. Might well be drive then i guess? Still seems a little weird but that said i have had weirder problems.
I assume you cant put the os on your storage drive? On a partition there to eliminate the drive that way?
Lets just hope its not your board.
OMG if it was my board I would freakin scream.
I have had one problem with it, which resulted in 2 months downtime (EVGA has no return centers within Australia).
I will try install it to the secondary drive and see what happens. I was putting it off, because if it becomes stable the drive is only 80GB, I like to keep this one for a backup, but I may have to boot in fedora again, grab the data left on there, and format.
Grrr...
Yea i dont think there is any easy way mate.
Well i do. That is the backup feature in 7. I am assuming thats what your installing?
If so then perhaps try create a backup and recover disk with the clapped out OS and then reinstall using the recover disk onto your temp drive.
Test for a day or 2 and if stable problem solved. If not well we all know the next answer Sad
I have a backup on the secondary drive.
BUT GUESS THE fudge WHAT!
Safe mode works fine.....................
Hardware issue would be consistent..... Software issue would be solved after format....... I'm not installing random programs, msn steam. Thats about it.
What the fudge is this?
So safe mode works. Damn. My first thought now was ok the system is running fine on limited resources ie (no networking) and it runs fine.
This again could point to the board not to the harddrive. As the harddrive would spit the same error regardless of safe mode.
You have any usb equipment plugged in that could be causing it and has not been eliminated already?
Ummm, I pulled everything out initially, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be anything plugged in VIA the USB. But I will give it another go. BRB.
Interesting...
BSOD of all things...
Pulled everything besides VGA, Keyboard, Ethernet and Power.
Restarting and trying again. Could have been an external HDD freakin it up (fingers crossed).
BSOD again, will keep trying.
5 and I call it a continuous problem.
Consistent problem - Boot loop.
Safe mode breaks the loop...

Think I may look at selling bits and pieces off and getting a laptop. Anyone want to buy a Q6600/Antec Case? They're the only bits I cant tell are fully functional lol.

But seriously, I would much rather fix this now and look at that later.