Support Forums

Full Version: TUTORIAL Networking Windows 7 with XP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok i am going to show you how to setup a local network in 7 which in this experiment is networked to an xp machine.
I am using windows firewall on 7 and zonealarm on xp.

First thing we will do here is setup the xp machine.

More specifically the firewall on there. Like i said earlier its using zonealarm so we need to start zonealarm on the xp box and configure it a little.
Now bring up zonealarm and choose Firewall in the left menu area.
Then zones. Now we need to add your local network to this. If you dont know what your local ip address is then simply go to Start/run/cmd/ then in the command box type ipconfig
You will see quite a bit of info. Now scroll up to the top of the shell and you will see something like this.
[Image: 12656135879806_Capture.jpg]

You will see the IPv4 Address well thats your local address.
You will see the Default gateway. Thats your router.
Now we know in this instance i will need to allow 192.168.0.1 through to 192.168.0.255 now dont be alarmed. This is simply local not internet.
Now we need to allow that range in the Zones area of zonealarm so that zonealarm knows its a local pc wanting to communicate.
Once that is done on the xp box you simply close zonealarm.

Now for this experiment we want to have a folder available on both machines so they can send data back and forth. The choice of these folders or even drives is entirely up to you but i like to limit it to just one folder and i drag stuff there if i want to share it over the network.
Now lets choose Shared Documents on the xp machine to share.
Go to that folder and right click on it.
Choose Sharing and Security.
Now you will see a line near the bottom that reads "If you understand the security risks but want to share files without running the wizard click here"
Well click there and you will be given an option to start the wizard again or just enable filesharing. Choose just enable filesharing.
That screen will disappear and you will see the same window as before except you will now be able to "share this folder on the network"
Choose that and name it whatever you like.
You may want to also choose "Allow network users to change files" If you plan on having any level of control within that folder.
Click apply and then ok.
Now i do like to see a windows xp machine reboot at this stage.
Not needed perhaps but i do like to do it to resolve any issues it may have at the time of giving permissions.

Now once the xp machine is fully restarted jump onto the windows 7 box and right click on My Computer and choose Map Network Drive.
Then choose browse. This can seem to hang a little bit especially the first time. Be patient. You will then see the XP computer.
Expand that folder and you should see the folder we setup to share before. If you do then click on it and then ok. Then Finish.
Now it will map that to your network and once mapped it will bring that folder forward for you to see.
Now when you close that. Go to My Computer and you will see the mapped drive there for you to use anytime you want.

Now to access the 7 machine from the xp machine.

I will be sharing a similar folder here. This time its the Public folder inside Users.
Right click on that and you will see share with...
Click that and you will get advanced sharing settings.
Now in there we want to allow for filesharing. Most are pretty obvious. But one thing i suggest is to turn off the password protected sharing bit.
This is just a pain in the ass.
Now close that and then right click on the folder again and choose Properties. Now select Sharing and hit the share button. It will bring up a Choose people to share with option.
Now as i am making this available to all i am going to choose Everyone from the list there. Making sure they have Read/Write selected also.

Finally hit the share button again.
Now go to your XP box and right click on My Computer and choose Map Network Drive. Choose from the dropdown list until you see the Windows 7 Machine and then navigate to the folder you shared. And click it and then ok and then finish.

We are now networked between 7 and XP.

Not a well thought out tut or even much good. I was simply bored and decided to post it up.
It does work i can say for sure as i did it as i posted this so i can be sure it works.
Hopefully someone gets some use out of it anyways.