Support Forums

Full Version: Fedora 0-write help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can anyone help me do a 0-write of my hard disk using fedora?
I can't run Windows 7 because the disk has been formatted to NTFS/HTFS. Don't ask me how, its half Windows format and half Mac format. Which I've never touched :S

So can anyone help me out, trilo- tried to help me but it didn't seem to work. I would prefer to do it over MSN because I'm getting really sick of this crap and just want it to get back to normal.
Damn thought i replies to this.
Now you are saying that definitely deleting all partitions and recreating them all of different size does not zero your drive thus making anything unreadable?
Not leaving the boot partition or swap or anything. Deleting them all.
I am confused and have been ever since the mac problem was posted by trilobyte.
Instead of the drive being NTFS it was HTFS/NTFS.
This was freakin crap up!
I zeroed the drive out last nught, took 14 hours or so. Am just about to try install windows again.
(02-07-2010, 06:08 PM)Extasey Wrote: [ -> ]Instead of the drive being NTFS it was HTFS/NTFS.
This was freakin crap up!
I zeroed the drive out last nught, took 14 hours or so. Am just about to try install windows again.

Why is this this a problem, pop in your Linux install CD/DVD and the part where its asks "format partition hard drive" choose custom and partition and format your drive to whatever you want....

Quotes like this are a good indicator that your just just trying whatever
Quote:Don't ask me how, its half Windows format and half Mac format. Which I've never touched
Yeah I always find my computers up and change persistent memory...

And what the hell is an 0-write?
I agree with you g4143.
And if im not mistaken there reference to 0-write is simply removing the 0 point or start point of the harddrive.
Deleting all partitions and system volumes etc until its one raw disk does the same thing for me anyway. ;)
I was going off what Trilobyte had told me. We found the HTFS/NTFS with a command he told me to type in, I wasn't planning on doing any of it again so I didn't try to memorise.
0-write, nuke, destroy all the data on the drive.
I had formatted the drive at least 7 times and it was still happening. I didn't want to install fedora, I was just using it because it was reccomended to me to do the job! When I tried to install it kept telling me that the drive was "Bad media"
Nuking the drive seems to have fixed it. But the problem usually only happend after a few reboots, so we will see.
(02-07-2010, 08:49 PM)g4143 Wrote: [ -> ]Why is this this a problem, pop in your Linux install CD/DVD and the part where its asks "format partition hard drive" choose custom and partition and format your drive to whatever you want....

Quotes like this are a good indicator that your just just trying whatever
Quote:Don't ask me how, its half Windows format and half Mac format. Which I've never touched
Yeah I always find my computers up and change persistent memory...

And what the hell is an 0-write?

(02-07-2010, 11:32 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you g4143.
And if im not mistaken there reference to 0-write is simply removing the 0 point or start point of the harddrive.
Deleting all partitions and system volumes etc until its one raw disk does the same thing for me anyway. ;)

It's too hard to explain unless you've had it happen to you. For some reason, the drive goes into a Mac Format, and can't be overridden. More like, you're just formatting NTFS over the HTFS or whatever it is. I'm kind of tired trying to explain it, but once it's happened to you you'll understand. Smile

Hope it all went well, Extasey. And it took you 14 hours or so? Mine took 1.4 minutes. x)
(02-09-2010, 03:29 AM)trilobyte- Wrote: [ -> ]It's too hard to explain unless you've had it happen to you.

Statements like the above generally mean 'I have no idea what's happening but something is wrong'...Why don't you use the default responses - Its a virus or its a catastrophic hardware failure.
I can see where your coming from, but theres no need to be a dick about it.
How the fudge could a virus stay after format anyway?
If you don't have anything to add then piss off!
Instead of doing an O-write or whatever the latest buzz word is...why don't you create a proper partition and then format the hard drive like the rest of us...
Pages: 1 2