Support Forums

Full Version: (American) HighSchool/Electives/Diploma/College [HELP]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I'm currently a Freshman in High School. I'm wanting to Major in Computer Science when I get older.

Right now I'm in:
Algebra II
Spanish
English
World Geography
*Weight Lifting
Advanced Science

I have A's/B's and am doing fairly good for being in two advanced classes. (Science, and Algebra II is a Sophomore class)

Next year I'm wanting to further taking advanced classes because I know that they will help me and also I want to get a Commonwealth Diploma (its a special diploma in my state)

http://www.education.ky.gov/kde/instruct...iploma.htm

For it I must take AP classes and have 4 years of the same foreign language. Here is where the problem is.. I'm pretty sure I'm wanting to take these classes:

Advanced Geometry (Well above a Sophomore class)
Spanish II (Required for Commonwealth Diploma)
English II
World Geography II (Not sure if thats right, Don't matter anyway..)
Chemistry
Honors Biology (Pretty much an Advanced Class)

Now, the problem comes here, I know I have two advanced classes and thats great. But the problem is we only get two electives. One of mine has to go to Spanish II so I get the Diploma I want. Chemistry is what I want as my other one. Its a Junior class and I will be a Sophomore. That will let my take AP Chemistry in Junior year (and possibly give me a free elective my Senior year). But also at our School we have some Technology Electives that I feel I need to take because I want to major in Computer Science when I get out of High School. So I'm debating whether or not I should take Chemistry.

If I take Chemistry, I have a 99% chance I would get my Diploma, which looks good whenever I get out of college to get a job. But, I feel I need to take some type of computing class. I know some basic stuff. I know a little of about all coding languages. Should I just try and self-teach myself over the summer what I think I might need in college? I really don't know what to do.

Also, another question. How long would it take to get a Doctorate in Computer Science? 6-8 Years is what I was guessing.
Please help someone..
My advice to you would be to take that chemistry class. You really don't need to take a tech course. I never really took formal classes, and yet I was able to self teach myself a lot of things. I self taught myself to fix damaged or broken computers, reformat and backup files, clean computers, do security, upgrade computers, and all sorts of other things. Also if you really want I would recommend studying to get CompTIA A+ certification. That way you have an official certification under your belt with the knowledge it comes with, while still getting to have some fun with learning chemistry. There is no age you have to be either. The only thing is that the test costs about $168 USD. But there are ways to get it at a substantial discount.