Support Forums

Full Version: [Hardware / Linux] Chipset Fail?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been trying to boot OpenSUSE for a while now. I recently had it installed on my Laptop, then I took it off to install Mac. I then took Mac off, and everything was fine. But now, for some reason whenever I try to install OpenSUSE, either running the OpenSUSE Live, Check Installation Media or Failsafe Settings, it get a random fault. For some reason, it no longer wants to load. It always get's stuck on %3 or %4 when Loading the Linux Kernel. I just don't get why it's happening, when it worked fine before hand? Any suggestions? Does it sound like a Chipset fail?
(01-29-2010, 09:51 AM)trilobyte- Wrote: [ -> ]Does it sound like a Chipset fail?
Before you go off in that direction. Can you install Mac? If you can then its not a Chipset fail...whatever that is. Why do people assume exotic problems before they check the boring stuff first. Is the OpenSuse install DVD damaged/dirty?
No, the DVD is clean. I even installed onto a new disc to test that theory.
I seem to think either hardware (dvdrom) or the image. Much like g4143 said.
Now you have burned a new image? This is with an iso you have burned before and installed?
I mean you did not just download this and get error. You can confirm you have installed off it yea?
If so then i would look at another harddrive. This is not the same pc you have had problems installing windows after mac is it?
If so then its quite possible its a screwed drive.
How old is your harddrive out of curiosity?
I've installed off this Disc before. I even burnt a new disc with the same ISO and a new disc with a new iso, still nothing.
And yes, this is the one I had problems with after the Mac. But I fixed all of that.

I'm not sure how old the harddrive is.. it's not very old though.
You got a spare harddrive you can test on? I suspect a fresh install on a new harddrive will solve this.
All I have at the moment is a Externel. Which I don't really want to test anything on; because it's got all my Music / Videos / School stuff that I need. And off topic for a sec, I haven't ignored your PM, it's just you have your PM's disabled so I can't reply. Smile
lol will fix that.