Support Forums

Full Version: [Mandriva] What's the difference?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can anybody callaborate on the diferences between Mandriva Free, One and Powerpack? I've just installed Mandriva One GNOME 2010 on my Laptop (It's amazing) and I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to the Powerpack?

Thanks.
It is. But it costs, which i don't like, but its worth it.
(01-27-2010, 05:50 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]It is. But it costs, which i don't like, but its worth it.

What exactly are the differences to it?
Ok i have a mate who has powerpack. Now all it offered were flash installed by default.
It offered the priority drivers for graphics which can be got free.
Efectively my mate said at the end of the day he donated to Mandriva as the powerpack offered him Nothing he cant already get.
Only difference is its installed at install.
(01-27-2010, 11:17 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Ok i have a mate who has powerpack. Now all it offered were flash installed by default.
It offered the priority drivers for graphics which can be got free.
Efectively my mate said at the end of the day he donated to Mandriva as the powerpack offered him Nothing he cant already get.
Only difference is its installed at install.

Alright, thank you Damink. I take that as not worth buying it.
Not worth purchasing at all mate.
Look i love Mandriva and i would consider paying it simply to donate to the cause. But if you think your getting something special then your not.
Its honestly more about supporting them over getting anything meaningful.
I never understood how they are able to charge for their distributions of Mandriva. I thought that Linux had to be free, opensource, copylefted, and all that stuff.
(01-27-2010, 05:47 PM)trilobyte- Wrote: [ -> ]Can anybody callaborate on the diferences between Mandriva Free, One and Powerpack? I've just installed Mandriva One GNOME 2010 on my Laptop (It's amazing) and I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to the Powerpack?

Thanks.

One of the best kept secrets - Mandriva and Gnome my favorite GNU/Linux.
(03-04-2010, 07:58 PM)Snave Wrote: [ -> ]I never understood how they are able to charge for their distributions of Mandriva. I thought that Linux had to be free, opensource, copylefted, and all that stuff.

Bumping this, but I agree. It's lame.
I, coming from a strong Windows background, was amazed by the whole "open source" and "copyleft" philosophy that is Linux, and I was appalled when I saw that Mandriva and Redhat cost :/ Don't people donate enough? I guess I don't really know.. maybe they need the money. I mean, it's not like it's easy coding an operating system.
Pages: 1 2