Support Forums

Full Version: Why can't I extend Partition?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I can't seem to extend this partition:
[Image: Capture.png]

The option isn't available, yet it will let me extend the partition running the OS, which I don't want!
I have tried many different ways to do it, but it refuses to let me!
I have had the space formatted, not available, un-formated, option not available... partitioned, not available!!

The desired outcome is to have a 250GB OS partition, then a 750GB (give or take) Data disk. Right now I have a 250GB OS, a 430GB Data disk, and 250GB unallocated.

Why won't it let me extend the volume?
Why extend volume anyway.
Sorry to sound ignorant but i really dont know. Why not just make it active. This will achieve your result no?
Yeah but its just easier for me, I only need a folder for Documents, Video, Music and downloads. Splitting it up over several disks will just be annoying when I sort through stuff, especially if I let the downloads folder go for any more then a week. I will not know where anything is and have to keep switching.

What I'm trying to say is, I would rather just have one disk for the data to keep it simple.
Delete both volumes you dont want then re create them unless i still dont understand?
That will make 1 single one.
Or is there data you need to keep?
No it just won't do it. I tried doing that but then it would only let me create a partition the size of that group of unallocated space.
When I delete them the sections of space stay separate, then when I click "new simple drive" or w/e it will only let me make a partition the size of the separated group.

I'll restart, see if that makes a difference. :\
Yea was gunna say try reboot. Failing that just create partitions from a boot disk. I see you have windows in your cdrom Smile
So just start that and delete and recreate from there. That will work for sure.
Lol yeah I only just installed, cause it completly fudged out.
And it just did it again.
I'm not sure if its hardware or software related though because I have formatted everything 3 times over and its still freakin up!
Something eats about 80% of my ram and chews about 20% of the proccessor. Even though its not that bad, the computer can't log in! It will sit there for an hour or two to start the login screen (after the starting windows animated gif).
I'm currently in safe mode so that rules out hardware.
WTF? I am actually stumped!!
(01-27-2010, 03:01 AM)Extasey Wrote: [ -> ]Lol yeah I only just installed, cause it completly fudged out.
And it just did it again.
I'm not sure if its hardware or software related though because I have formatted everything 3 times over and its still freakin up!
Something eats about 80% of my ram and chews about 20% of the proccessor. Even though its not that bad, the computer can't log in! It will sit there for an hour or two to start the login screen (after the starting windows animated gif).
I'm currently in safe mode so that rules out hardware.
WTF? I am actually stumped!!

When you say waiting for the screen watching the Windows GIF, do you mean the Dots that come together to make the Emblem? And then it keeps glowing and glowing and glowing forever?
No it finishes glowing, then that instant where its black just before the log on "welcome" screen opens hangs for ever. When the log on screen does fade in, it lags like crazy.
My rig shouldn't have any lag at all!
Weird man. I seriously dont know. Hmmmm i assume its a new harddrive or newish being a 1tb so yea weird.
Why did you not establish each partition properly when you installed and also have you tried to create them from windows disk after install? I mean put the disk in again. Boot off it and go through the process then delete and create at the install point. (nothing will be lost)
Pages: 1 2 3