Support Forums

Full Version: I need help with my HDD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just bough a new hard drive. I want to set it up so that my 70gb raptor runs my os and whatnot but my 500gb western digital is like just a place to store things....How do i do this? I can't find where to change it in the bios.
Have you Formatteed / installed an OS onto your external? + You'll need to format your 500gb so you can just use it purely for storage. And you should be looking to change the boot order in BIOS. Something like "Boot Order" then pressing either - or + to make a item higher or lower on a list.
They're both internal. How do i format it and i don't want an os on it it's simply there for storage.
Oh both internal, right.
Formatting is easy, you can do what I do, which is load a windows disc in there, format the drives then just exit the installation.. or there's a tut around here somewhere on formatting, so a quick search around and you'll find it Smile
Not big on Windows, but I'm pretty sure you can format it from Computer Management as well.
What OS are you running?
Which hard drive already has the OS on it? The 70GB? (Meaning you are installing the 500gb disk)
Is it a SATA or IDE drive?
If you are running windows 7 (pretty sure its the same with XP and Vista):
Click the Start Menu, then right click on My Computer and select "Manage"
Open the Storage menu (Left Panel) then select "Device Management"
Wait for it to detect your drives, then you should be presented with a screen something like this:
[Image: oo1v3dvn5twog7zlw56.png]
Right Click on the desired drive and select "Format". I recommend you use NTFS, not FAT32