Support Forums

Full Version: troubles connecting to my router
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So here is my problem. A couple days ago I finished building my new computer. I ended up putting vista on it. Everything works great till I tried to connect to my router. When I try to search for my router I cant find it, I've tried both wireless and wired and Vista refuses to find it. I have a linksys wrt54G router. At first I thought maybe I messed something up putting the comp together, but I went over to my buddys house and I could connect to his router fine. both wireless and wired.

So I'm just wondering why this is happening and is there an easy fix. Or will I just have to go out and buy a new router?
Don't build computers... go to Future shop and buy one...

Do you have the wireless driver installed... And did you add the wireless thing, the hardware...?
First, building a computer yourself is a good deal cheaper than buying a prebuilt.

Yes everything is installed, I've updated the drivers and all that good stuff. and like i mentioned in my first post. I am able to connect to a friends router, and also I can now connect to my neighbors router over wireless. I just cant connect to my own.
I agree that building your own computer is cheaper and with manuals included and youtube it's not entirely hard.

as for the wired wireless next time you plug in your cable for Internet check these in order.
1. Make sure that your wireless start to blink on lap port( if they are there some ports don't have them. They will be next to the plug normally on both sides of the clip.)

2. Open up network adapters and make sure it shows connected for the wired one

3. If the lights blink and the adapter shows connected then open cmd( start menu run then type "cmd" without quotes) and then proceed to type ipconfig in the box.
it should list a bunch of lines you will be looking for your wired card and normally says wired in front of the name. Look for a line that says gateway and type that number into your browser. If a page loads then your modems the problem otherwise its your router.
Can you load your router in the browser?
Assuming your hard wired as you said above you tried??
It will be like 192.168.0.1 or somethin???
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Got everything up and running. Turns out that my router was just not compatible with Vista, Just ended up buying a new one for $40. now everything works great, but I am $40 poorer Bebe-pleureBebe-pleureBebe-pleure
Yeah my Dlink router isn't compatitble with vista, but thankfully for me, Dlink released a special patch for it so i'm all good...

took me over 9 hours to find that patch -.-