Support Forums

Full Version: Can't find the RAM to fit my motherboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okie so, the last thing on my list to replace in my PC was my RAM and I just got my 1GB PC-3200 / 4200 DDR2 sticks in the mail today, I was almost positive that this was what I needed; I checked crucial.com and it says it would fit (Dell Dimension 5100, only thing that is the same in it though is the motherboard and 1 stock fan) -- I checked Dell and it said it would fit, and another site.

On the sticks I currently have (3x 512mb) they are all Samsung and have a bunch of useless (to me) gibberish on there, only thing that looks useful on there is "PC2" and it is just between a bunch of 0s 1s and 3s heh, it does not say SDDR, DDR, DDR2, PC4200 / 4300 or anything on it.

The sticks that just came in the mail were PC-3200 DDR2, and looked like this:
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/8/2/1/3...4565_o.jpg

When you put the sticks I have right now right next to the sticks that I just bought, the dimensions are 100% the same, the only problem is the locating notch in the center is about a quarter inch down from where it is supposed to be on the motherboard; so it has to be something close to PC-3200 DDR2,

anyone have a clue? what makes the notch different, would I need to look for different types of the "PC-xxxx" or SDDR instead of DDR? I dont know if that actually changes stick itself or the compatibility, I know the MHz go up as the "PC-xxxx" goes up; so i'm guessing physical compatibility doesn't change for that.. Only thing left in my process of elimination is the DDR/SDDR

tyty
Are you sure you press it down hard enough and the arc thing at the ram is matching where you're putting at?
you might of put it in backwards, I did that when i put my new ram sticks in XD check and see if that is the problem.
When I first did it I try before sides. The problem for me was that I didn't press down hard enough cuz I was scare to snap it Tongue
first you shud try nd see if u have done evrything u cud to fit it
if all the support sites say its gonna work then thers a chance it WILL...
though you shud contact a hardware person incase you break the RAM tryin to fit it in
good luck Thumbsup
Would you mind posting the motherboard so I can check if they are indeed compatible?
I was not able to 100% obtain the model and make of the motherboard, I searched several sources to find the specifications though.

So I took a guess. I bought RAM that was as close of specifications as I could to my current determined specs (uhohuhoh!!!!! =P)

Anyway, bought the RAM; it didnt work. -- Emailed the outlet, who instructed me to pay an additional $38.00 to receive the RAM that fits my computer because of the high frequency of the channel doesn't fit anything. And yup, I searched Crucial.

The new RAM should be here in the mail tomorrow. 4GB to replace my 1.5GB (running on 500w power supply and a damn PNY XLR8 9800 GTX+ SLI'd)

I need to learn to buy all hardware upgrades at once =(