Support Forums

Full Version: I think my PS2 may have a problem with reading discs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok another question/problem Hehe

My Brother has a slimline PS2, not sure of the technical info. Bought for $99 from a Pawn Shop. Anyways I try playing GTA San Andreas but as soon as it goes to the Loading Screen (part when the mad beat comes in) about halfway through, the loading bar will stop moving forward, and maybe after a 10-20 seconds it'll reach the end it'll turn to a black screen and say something like "Disc Read Error (forgot what it says after that)"..

Ok so he bought GTA San Andread from a market for $10. It's not Pirated, I promise. Just second-hand. So he brings it home and it gets the problem like explained before, and I say, this is cheap crap. BUT..

then we take it to out cousin's house and it works perfectly on his PS3. So he lets us borrow his Copy of GTA San Andreas. And it gets the same problem, but instead of the loading thing stopping halfway, it goes the whole way and THEN it gets the same error message. Both disks have absolutely NO scratches. A coincidence? I'm not sure, But I'd really like to play the game.

I've read that I should open from a respected gaming website that I should maybe open the PS2 up, and blow away any dust from the lens-reader (or whatever you call it, but before I go and maybe ruin the whole system, I'd like some help from the members here.

Also with Driver 3, it has problems, oh and also with Fight Night 3, it loads but then stops, or freezes.

More explanation wanted? Just ask here Smile Thumbsup

All help is appreciated. Thank You.
does it play other games fine or is it any game you put in it?
if its just ever other game it could be dust, If its all you need a new dvd thing.
As you stated in your first post, you should open up the Playstation 2 and clean out any dust and unwanted particles. Also, make sure that once you have opened the Playstation 2 that all the wires are connected properly. This has helped me out in the past when my Playstation 2 used to stop reading disks. For some reason my Playstation 2 would stop reading disks that were blue on the opposite side. Strange, I know, but it was easily solved when I opened it up and gave it a good clean.

I hope this helps you out Smile