Support Forums

Full Version: Problem with Linux Mint 8 x64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys.

So I just installed Mint 8, to test it out and write a review. But so far it hasn't been too good. I haven't install most of the drivers, like the graphics driver so at the moment my screen is fudged up.

For some weird reason, I am unable to download packages. It says connecting to mirror.optus.net/linuxmint/packages/ (my chosen mirror), but the IP for that address is apparently 1.0.0.0

I mean, I'm pretty new to linux, so I'm not sure how to change the IP? can anyone help out. I did a quick ping on the site, and I'm pretty sure it should be 211.29.132.60

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
(01-01-2010, 05:52 PM)trilobyte- Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys.

So I just installed Mint 8, to test it out and write a review. But so far it hasn't been too good. I haven't install most of the drivers, like the graphics driver so at the moment my screen is fudged up.

For some weird reason, I am unable to download packages. It says connecting to mirror.optus.net/linuxmint/packages/ (my chosen mirror), but the IP for that address is apparently 1.0.0.0

I mean, I'm pretty new to linux, so I'm not sure how to change the IP? can anyone help out. I did a quick ping on the site, and I'm pretty sure it should be 211.29.132.60

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
I don't really know if I can help you or not..... could you post a screen-shot of the error?
For some strange reason, I went into terminal and wrote:
Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-185
And that actually worked, so I now have my graphic card drivers.

After that I thought maybe it was just working again, but apparently not:

Thanks for the quick response, too.
(01-01-2010, 06:09 PM)trilobyte- Wrote: [ -> ]For some strange reason, I went into terminal and wrote:
Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-185
And that actually worked, so I now have my graphic card drivers.

After that I thought maybe it was just working again, but apparently not:

Thanks for the quick response, too.
Try:
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
(01-01-2010, 06:55 PM)Аноним Интерфейс Wrote: [ -> ]Try:
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
Already have and it came up with the same error. I think it's a problem with Apt, because it's trying to connect to 1.0.0.0, when that's not the sites IP. All I need to know is how to change that.
(01-01-2010, 07:20 PM)trilobyte- Wrote: [ -> ]Already have and it came up with the same error. I think it's a problem with Apt, because it's trying to connect to 1.0.0.0, when that's not the sites IP. All I need to know is how to change that.
I'm sorry, I think what you need to do is:
System > Administration > Software sources > Other Software [tab]
And set it to get packages from all the mirrors.
IDK the default settings, if you want I can give you a link to Ubuntu 9.10; it is the best debian based OS for a user-friendly set-up.
I ran Mint 7 and it gave me hell.
I'd already tried setting Optusnet as the main mirror, but for some reason, it still tries to connect to the Ubuntu server. It's really retarted. And no thanks on the Ubuntu, I've used linux alot before and I don't like Ubuntu one bit, it's great for begginners, but it's too simple for me. I'm just gonna stick with Fedora, which is what I had last time.
Please post your /etc/apt/sources.list file. I might be able to help.
(01-03-2010, 07:16 AM)TheDoctor Wrote: [ -> ]Please post your /etc/apt/sources.list file. I might be able to help.

Thanks for the offer mate, but I recently just installed Fedora 12 64bit edition and I love it. Thanks anyway Smile
(01-03-2010, 07:22 AM)trilobyte- Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the offer mate, but I recently just installed Fedora 12 64bit edition and I love it. Thanks anyway Smile
Fedora? That gave me hell too! Even with all of my hardware upgrades.
Pages: 1 2