Support Forums

Full Version: ive been a dumb ass and deleted some windows files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now sometimes when i click certain things i get "The Blue Screen Of Death" and my laptop restarts!

Also i noticed a icon in Control Panel is missing its just a white paper thingy instead of a icon.

Ive got a windows XP can i fix this without loosing files?
The easiest fix would be reformatting your computer since you don't know what you deleted. Store all your files that you need on an external harddrive and then just reformat the computer.
(12-29-2009, 11:21 AM)NaK Wrote: [ -> ]The easiest fix would be reformatting your computer since you don't know what you deleted. Store all your files that you need on an external harddrive and then just reformat the computer.

i really cannot be arsed formatting my computer again, i dont have a external hard drive and it takes to long getting the computer to how i want it.

Surely there is another way like system repair or some stuff like that.
Well you can try reparing it with the Windows XP disk. I am not sure exactly what it does when it repairs the computer but I am 90% sure that it will the windows file. Might as well forget about your programs on your computer though.
(12-29-2009, 11:55 AM)WMM Wrote: [ -> ]Well you can try reparing it with the Windows XP disk. I am not sure exactly what it does when it repairs the computer but I am 90% sure that it will the windows file. Might as well forget about your programs on your computer though.

You can do this or if you can manually add the files again.
Yea repairing would be easier for a noob (not trying to be mean).
(12-29-2009, 11:58 AM)WMM Wrote: [ -> ]Yea repairing would be easier for a noob (not trying to be mean).

Belive it or not ive fixed loads of computer im pretty good with them i can build a pc from scratch lets just say that, but there are problems that pop up for evan experts where they will ask first before trying to fix, this is why i ask on the internet, so i can hear different methods/views on fixing this problem.

PS: ive never had this problem before this is why i ask first Tongue
Perhaps try a tool that recovers deleted files and try recover them? (tune up utilities or similar)
Personally i have tried this with little success. Easiest way is just to format but it appears you dont want to do that.
You can try this: http://www.aumha.org/a/recover.php
I just downloaded and gave it a go, it found a heap of things i had deleted from the recycle bin.
It's freeware.
If you don't know the names of the files or what you are looking for just leave the search bit blank and search C:
It should still find/recover a bunch of data. Filter through it and restore what you need.
If you managed to get hold of all the standard Windows files, you could copy them all into the system32 folder and click no if it asks to overwrite, an that would fill in all the missing.

Not all files can be copied (through Windows anyway), but, anything that can't be copied probably can't be deleted, look for your "wpa.dbl" file and back it up, Windows have there operating systems very hard to pirate by copying, if Windows detects any significant change in hardware, it will lock its self, and the wpa.dbl (keeps they info and stuff about your hardware, and to have someone else's, will make Windows lock down... or something like that), will be unique, so that's one of the files mustn't replace, although of corse you don't replace any (wpa.dbl bit was just informative I suppose).
Pages: 1 2