Support Forums

Full Version: How to use an Xbox360 Controller with Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If your like me and reallt can't be bothered to get up from your nice comfortable position and use the mouse, this tutorial might come in handy.

What You Should Already Have
Of course you'll need a wired xbox 360 controller (or battery pack'd) and windows 7.

What You Need
Microsoft offer some drivers, so don't worry, they should be pretty stable.
You can find them here.
Install these straight away
We are also going to need a program called MotionJoy. It is pretty much an emulator, compadible with xbox 360 and PS3 controllers. We will be using this program for the vibrations.
The 32bit version can be found here.
The 64bit version can be found here.
Don't install this yet, we'll do that in a minute.

Disable the Driver Signature Enforcement
So you should have installed the drivers provided by microsoft for the xbox 360 controller, now you will need to restart. As soon as you hear that beep for the pre-boot test your system bios does, start hitting F8. If done correctly, you should be able to see a screen similar to this:
[Image: windows-7-disable-driver-signature-.jpg]
Select the option highlighted in the picture and click enter.

Installing MotionJoy
Install the program with the version suited to your system (64 or 32 bit). Once you have completed this, you will need to install the MotionJoy driver. To do this we need to go to the Start Menu > All Programs > MotioninJoy > Install MotioninJoy Driver. You will need to right-click on Install MotioninJoy Driver and click on Run as Administrator

Keep following the prompts until you get a warning that looks like this:
[Image: install-this-driver-software-anyway.gif]
Choose Install this driver software anyway.

Configure
To configure the MotionJoy Program, go to the Start Menu > All Programs > MotionJoy > DS3 Tool

MotionJoy Official Website Wrote:Digital Gamepad(Dpad,without joystick) Digital set up, Dpad works off of the X/Y axis. This is like the PS1 controller, works well for soccer games.
Analog Gamepad1(POV,Joysticks)Dpad is set to POV/hat switch, the 2 analog sticks are set up on the X,Y, Z and RZ axes. This is like a PS2 controller and is currently the most used.
Analog Gamepad2(POV,Joysticks,Analog Triggers)Dpad is set to POV/hat switch, the 2 analog sticks are set up on the X,Y, Z and RZ axes, L2 and R2 are also on an axis. This works well for racing games and is similar to the XBOX 360 controller.
Analog Gamepad3(POV,Joysticks,Analog Triggers,Motion sensor) This is similar to Gamepad2 with the added effect of motion sensors. At the moment it’s not very practical.
Emulate Xinput Imitates the XBOX 360 controller. Is currently greyed out because it’s still unusable.
Enable vibration Enables vibration. [duh]
Enable Option Applies the above settings.

Done! Don't hesitate to ask questions!
Ooh, so this works with PS3 Controllers too aye?
Thanks! This will come in handy. Smile
Yeah, sony don't have any drivers available unfortunately.
This should also work with Windows XP and Vista.
So, it wont work with a PS3 Controller because Sony hasn't released the Drivers? That sucks arse.
No it should.
MotionJoy supports it so technically it should work. It just won't be supported by Sony.
Very nice, to bad I only got wireless controllers. When I get a wired one I will try it!
Yeah, it can come in handy. If I'm watching a series on my bed, I don't have to get up to change it.