Support Forums

Full Version: Picking a good Domain Name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is one of the most asked question for webmasters, so here are a few tips when choosing a domain name.

Fisrt what you want to do is decide what your site is going to be about. Whether you will make it for tech, support, chatting, etc..This is essential so your domain will be related to the topic of the site.

Second what you want to do is choose something short. No one wants to type in a 30 character long web address, its annoying if you dont bookmark it, and it just looks stupid. Picking a short name like exvio, efusion, etc...is really the best way to go.

Thirdly you want to pick something unique. Picking a unique domain name will attract more people. Lets say if your site is about chatting. Most people will include the word chat in it which it good, but a way to make it more appealing would be adding a unique and appealing word, such as desire, eternity, fusion...etc.

Lastly choosing your domain ending such as .com, .net, .org is also essential. Yes .com is the most widely used "ending" there are others that suite your site best. Basically if you are having a web forum based for a certain team or group .net would be better, if you have a major group, or organization, .org would be better. .com would be best used for general websites.

Also, there are many domain name generators that choose a domain for you by using the keywords you provide, i dont recommend this because all they really do is take your keywords and merge them.

Well there are a few tips that you can use when making a new website.

Hope this can be a spot of help.
Nice, could come in handy for people just started to make websites.
I think we're missing out on something very important here - SEO. I believe that your choice of domain can still count towards your search engine ranking, so if you choose a domain with the word "windows" and "tips" in it, you can expect a fair few results about Microsoft's operating system, windows themselves and various bits of advice - on a Google search this produces around "About 113,000,000" results.

So, you need to ensure that your name will be shown in the top 10 (preferably in the top three) right from the start if you want people to easily find your site by name. "So, why might this help?", I hear you say. Let's say that Ian has just told a friend about your site, and has given the name to him - it isn't too popular, and not many people link to it. If it has a common name, it'll probably be ranked lower than if it has something more distinctive.

Please also beware of typos and international spelling - let's say I'm a cable company called "Green Fibre". In the UK, we spell that "Fibre", but it can also be spelt "Fiber", so you need to cater for typos like that. Try to avoid confusing people as much as possible! Smile

I believe I'm right in stating the above, but if I'm not, some corrections will be more than welcome!
Yep I Just bought the best SEO domain name: boxietuts.com :S.

No but for example I own a company called ColourTechni although I live in the USA. I own both domains colortechni.com and colourtechni.com so that it can go never wrong.

Note: I choose colourtechni.com as my main one because it has 12 letters = all the colors of the rainbow ^.^
all very good tips. I wasnt really thinking of SEO at the time.

Thank you tho.
Another thing is keep trademarks out of it if you are going to be working towards something in that sector.
(12-28-2009, 04:02 PM)vividWire Wrote: [ -> ]I think we're missing out on something very important here - SEO. I believe that your choice of domain can still count towards your search engine ranking, so if you choose a domain with the word "windows" and "tips" in it, you can expect a fair few results about Microsoft's operating system, windows themselves and various bits of advice - on a Google search this produces around "About 113,000,000" results.

So, you need to ensure that your name will be shown in the top 10 (preferably in the top three) right from the start if you want people to easily find your site by name. "So, why might this help?", I hear you say. Let's say that Ian has just told a friend about your site, and has given the name to him - it isn't too popular, and not many people link to it. If it has a common name, it'll probably be ranked lower than if it has something more distinctive.

Please also beware of typos and international spelling - let's say I'm a cable company called "Green Fibre". In the UK, we spell that "Fibre", but it can also be spelt "Fiber", so you need to cater for typos like that. Try to avoid confusing people as much as possible! Smile

I believe I'm right in stating the above, but if I'm not, some corrections will be more than welcome!

Spot on man. Well in my opinion it was spot on.
You are missing the keywords element for SEO and for visitor recognition.

Domains with keywords associated with the content normally do very well in serps which translates into more traffic.

The rest is fairly good post.