Support Forums

Full Version: Considering getting a second PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well today I gave away my snakes (personal reasons) and now I have a huge desk (really it's one of those long plastic tables) with a perfect place to put another computer. I was thinking I would get some old computer and fix up what I can in it and install Linux on it or something. The problem is I have to real reason to do this. Sad Any ideas on what I could actually use a second PC for? It won't be nice enough for a server or gaming.
Yep run a server. Even if its simply personal and not public. But its fun to play with a server now and again.
Test different dodgey programs on?
It could be like a dedicated sandbox!
(12-26-2009, 09:04 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]Yep run a server. Even if its simply personal and not public. But its fun to play with a server now and again.

As I said it's not going to be nice enough for a server. No real reason to run a private one IMO.

(12-26-2009, 09:08 PM)Extasey Wrote: [ -> ]Test different dodgey programs on?
It could be like a dedicated sandbox!

That's a possibility but I don't really handle many dodgey programs nowadays.
Neither... Actually.

I used to have them all the time, but they still got around the sandbox every now and then. So I just gave up trusting people on the internet.
(12-26-2009, 09:21 PM)Extasey Wrote: [ -> ]Neither... Actually.

I used to have them all the time, but they still got around the sandbox every now and then. So I just gave up trusting people on the internet.

lol I just don't download a lot of unreliable programs anymore.
When I moved over here from HF I just stopped doing that stuff altogether.
(12-26-2009, 09:41 PM)Extasey Wrote: [ -> ]When I moved over here from HF I just stopped doing that stuff altogether.

Same, but I've started getting back into HF a little.
You said you don't really need a server but a FreeNAS server to backup all your files might be useful?

Only need a Pentium 2/3 256mb RAM machine.

Runs like 5mbs of RAM when it's on! Really light.

I can get you a tut up if you're interested.
(12-29-2009, 08:20 AM)MarkW7 Wrote: [ -> ]You said you don't really need a server but a FreeNAS server to backup all your files might be useful?

Only need a Pentium 2/3 256mb RAM machine.

Runs like 5mbs of RAM when it's on! Really light.

I can get you a tut up if you're interested.

No thanks. From now on anything with the word "Server" in it should not be suggested.
Pages: 1 2 3