Support Forums

Full Version: cant start windows vista 64 using grub need help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i recently changed the name of my windows boot settings in grub and now it wont boot i do not know the original settings. please help
In my experience you need to reinstall everything. You can save all your crap by putting in a linux live disk and booting into live mode, then copying all your files to an external HDD source.

Don't go and do this just yet, there are people here much more knowledgeable than myself.
Un Install GRUB. Which Distro are using?
I personally found editing menu.lst was really easy to edit.
UNinstall grub and use your Vista disk and boot into the recovery console. There is an option to fix the boot system.
Also, is this really an issue? You just got rid of vista!
(12-21-2009, 08:19 PM)Aristotle Wrote: [ -> ]Also, is this really an issue? You just got rid of vista!

Yea. That was your first mistake.
well i actually fixed the issue i do not know how Confused so i decided to post it because i was paranoid and the distro i have is ubuntu
(12-21-2009, 07:13 PM)Idiot #1 Wrote: [ -> ]UNinstall grub and use your Vista disk and boot into the recovery console. There is an option to fix the boot system.

Er, the post says today, yet he's been banned for like 3 weeks or something.

Ontopic:
Try renaming it back to the original name?
the reason i wanted it back is because i do not have windows 7 key or cd
i do not even have my vista disk i got my laptop from asus and they did not provide it