Support Forums

Full Version: Icons Not Showing On Desktop [Help]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK, yesterday, and today my desktop hasn't been showing my desktop(Not just icons, I also can't "drag" boxes on my desktop, as it it was some how disabled.) All the folders and files are in the directory, but not on the desktop screen. Also if I drop and drag a file onto the desktop(Screen) It wont appear, but will in the Desktop(Dir)

Anyone got any ideas, or do you have no idea what I'm talking about?
Right click on desktop, make sure the "show icons" is checked.
Try this:

1. press <Ctrl><Alt><Delete>. This should bring up the Task Manager

2. Click on the 'processes' tab

3. Find the process listed as 'explorer.exe', right-click it and choose 'end process'. At this point all open windows might vanish. Don't worry! [if you don't see explorer.exe listed, just go on to the next step]

4. Click the File menu, choose 'New Task (Run)...'. In the 'create new process' dialog box, type 'explorer' (without the quote marks!) and click 'ok'.

5. Hopefully you will now see your desktop.

6. Next, verify that explorer is configured to start automatically by editing the registry (i know you are a newbie, relax).

7. If you have now got your desktop back, click Start then Run and type in 'regedit' and click ok. [If you didn't get your desktop back, then in task manager click the 'File' menu and choose 'new task (run...)' and enter regedit in there]

8. you will see the registry. It looks like a load of folders. These are called 'keys'. Browse through it to find the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon key.

9. In the right hand pane find the entry called 'Shell'. Double-click it. The value stored in there should be 'explorer.exe'. If it is not, enter 'explorer.exe' (without the quotes!) and click ok. Try rebooting now.

10. Another thing to try: run 'msconfig' [use the methods indicated in step 7 to run this program]

11. This brings up the system configuration utility. Click on the 'startup' tab. Click on the 'disable all' button. Click ok. Try rebooting now.

If that works, one of the startup programs that were listed on the startup tab in msconfig was causing your problem. YOu can try running msconfig and enabling them one at a time, until you find the culprit.

If none of these work. Boot into safe mode: Reboot the computer and press F8 as soon as you get past the self-test messages. If you hit F8 at just the right moment, the 'Advanced Startup Menu' appears. Choose Safe mode. If you can boot up and log on in this way, try restoring your system to an earlier date,

Then Just update your window system and also your antivirus,
Scan completely your computer

To do system restore:

Press Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools ----> System Restore Open it and then select a date when you we not infected then press next
Let the process to be done
Restart your machine normally
This will solve the problem
(10-06-2009, 01:20 PM)YoungHacker Wrote: [ -> ]Right click on desktop, make sure the "show icons" is checked.

:@ You are kidding me! What kind of stupid OS has a hide icons option :@

Thanks both of you.
(10-06-2009, 01:39 PM)Vorfin Wrote: [ -> ]:@ You are kidding me! What kind of stupid OS has a hide icons option :@

Thanks both of you.

Roflmao

So did you solved your problem?
Yeah, I did /facepalm
looool used my trick or acekidd's one? Big Grin
Thank you,

I now have a sig Big Grin
Yours Young, I guess I'm the forums laughing stock now aren't I =S
=D LOOOOOL

just funny the way you make awesome websites and keyloggers, but can't chang this Big Grin
Pages: 1 2