Support Forums

Full Version: CentOS on older boards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been hearing loads about CentOS and decided i would pull down my home server and load it up and test myself.
Well i will be buggered i cant even install Smile
Keeps coming up with errors then ultimately just goes to a black screen with mouse icon alive.
I are not overly concerned anyway as i wanted to test out 2010 Mandriva also but was more interested to know if others have had any issues with CentOS on older systems?
My server is pretty crap. 2.8gig single core with a gig of ram ;(
Quite a few years old and expect that is why it cant load it. Seems to be an X server issue.
Maybe it doesn't support your graphics card?
Yes i suspect so mate. I am only using on board as its my server and does not really need a monitor but i like to keep it on for other reasons.
Hmmm i tried changing my dvd rom and doing a rebrun and it installed ok.
Must have been a bad burn. Weird as i was almost sure it was the on board graphics card.
Now time to play Smile
Glad to see it worked out afterall.
Keep us updated on what you think of it!
First signs are really good i must say. I have been a little one sided with Mandriva for some time (2005-2009) and really needed to check out what else was available.
But already i am quite impressed.
I heard CentOS is much like Fedora?
Yes it is a bit. Well better. The install stage was quite clean and easy to use.
Really simple actually. Tick here if you want this and tick there if you want that sort of thing.
And this is with an old as crap system and the latest CentOS release!
Ah, sounds great.
Would you reccomend it as a everyday OS, or is it specifically for servers? Sorry about all the questions, you got me interested Smile
It seems to be a great desktop. I simply want to test it a little further as a server as Omni recommends it and he knows his stuff.
But certainly early reports are yea its really quite nice.
Im not a gnome man rather a kde man but thats the only thing i dont like.
Well the partition manager during install was a bit old school for my liking. ( I love diskdrake from Mandriva ) But those are just small things.
I am compiling a thorough comparison between Mandriva and CentOS now and will post it up probably tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2