Support Forums

Full Version: Which OS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What's Up?

OK, So I recently got a old pc, I decided to use it purley for burning discs, So first up was to install Linux over that old windows 98 os. But thanks to strings of complecations I can't get Linux to install.

Basically I need an OS that can be installed offline, ( old comptuer doesn't have a etherport) and uses less then 256MB ram. I did get alt xubuntu but that needs the net to install.

Any ideas?

Thanks Bye!
I don't think there is a modern OS with those low requirements.
xp would be easy to install and does not need to be online.
Or a light version of linux. But you said you had issues there so yea go xp without any security and keep it off the net and make it run light so you can burn.
(12-16-2009, 03:35 PM)DAMINK™ Wrote: [ -> ]xp would be easy to install and does not need to be online.
Or a light version of linux. But you said you had issues there so yea go xp without any security and keep it off the net and make it run light so you can burn.

It seems windows XP Home edition only requires 64MB of ram, Looks like thats the way to go!

Thanks for your help!
Yea look other OS will work.
I had early Mandriva on about the same ram. But Xp will do the job you need. Sure not at break neck speed but it will work.
Good luck with this mate.
i recommend xp home edition as the guy said.
PuppyLinux or Damn Small Linux is designed to those specs and purposes. They fit on USB drives.
PuppyLinux
Windows XP 2003.
Doesn't require crap Smile
Didn't read fully disregard.