Support Forums

Full Version: Web Host w/ Lots of Bandwidth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ok well I'm about to launch a new website projected to grab 100k's views daily so I know my main issue will be bandwidth. Can anyone forward me to a good deal to a web host that can manage 100k views daily?

I read up on Grizzly's Tutorial and think Shared Hosting is out of window lol.

The site will probably be as active as http://tvshack.net
Free:
======
www.byethost.com

Better:
=======
www.hostgator.com

Best:
=======
http://www.ultrahosting.com/
Umm I'm still learning more about hosting: what's the difference between VPS and Dedicated Servers? Do you think it would make a big difference if I pick a VPS rather than a Dedicated Server in my situation? I'm only going to have one site on this server by the way.

Here are some dedicated servers I found:
http://www.apthost.com/dedicatedservers.shtml
http://www.singlehop.com/servers/index.p...=jrox_gold

Now I have some questions:
What is the RAM and Max RAM for?
What does the CPU Core do?
And what's processor type for?

Sorry for all these questions just that reading up on this forum got me thinking and starting to learn more about hosting because I was fooled in the "unlimited" stuff and so now I want to learn and make sure I get what I need.
I don't have time to answer all of your questions, but in regards of your last post, if I'm not mistaken a VPS (Virtual private server) is simply a server that runs along with a few more other virtual servers which themselves run on the same machine.
A dedicated server is basically a machine which is not shared with anybody else, that is your server is the only server that runs there.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong by the way.

In your case, if you are just starting out, then I suggest sticking with VPS as they tend to be a lot cheaper than dedicated servers, and then upgrade when your VPS starts choking.

RAM - place where recently accessed data goes, in their case "RAM" is the default the server comes in, and MAX RAM is the limit of how much the motherboard supports.

CPU is basically responsible for all the calculations. To simplify it for you, more cores = faster processor.
Processor type is to distinguish between pentium 4, and quad core, as some p4's work at higher frequencies, (3.5GHZ) but work a lot slower than quad and dual cores that work at half the frequency.
If not, I'd suggest reading it.

And now, to answer your questions:
Alas, another victim of unlimited hosting. Personally I think the FCC should start hammering these hosts that do these marketing gimmicks, most shared hosting has a limit on resource usage, usually 25% of server resources for a continuous 30-90 seconds.

Now, a VPS is a Virtual Private Server. It is basically a bunch of baby dedicated servers spawned off of one dedicated server. Performance really isn't that great. I would just start with shared hosting (unless this is the site you were talking about in the other thread) and upgrade as needed, no need to spend more money than you need to. And most sites rarely see 100k / day. If you are seeing that you'll be making more than enough money to pay for the 2 - 3 servers required to run that thing (and keep load times way down).

Honestly, if you are really thinking you'll see that much, get a VPS. A MANAGED VPS. And make sure you read and ask the host specifically what is covered. If they say everything take that deal ;)

Think of a server as a large computer, because that is all it is.

Each process run uses RAM just like your computer. Each time someone clicks a link there is a process. Your control panel will use RAM. And some things like Apache will always be there running. On a VPS don't bank on that burstable/maximum RAM. Go with whatever they say is dedicated to you.

CPU...same thing as above.

Processor type: Usually they will say a dual quad core or something to that effect. Basically each core is separate and will spread the processes over each one.
on a VPS is that just my server so I'm not sharing my resources with anyone right? And should I look for one with the most bandwidth rather than a better RAM...and yes they should do something about those Unlimited Hosting b/c I did background checks on numerous web hosting review sites and it has this one up there but it's awful if you wish to run a nice forum.
Those top 10 hosting sites are crammed with the highest paying affiliate programs, that's it. If you really want to find a good host take a look at mddhosting.com, that's who I use to host my sites, and I love it. Then gain, I'm also a professional friend with the owner from my days in the industry lol. Take a look at webhostingtalk.com as well.

If by better RAM you mean they offer more RAM, (not burstable, don't depend on that, go with what is guaranteed) then I personally would use that. Unless your site is going to have a lot of images, I wouldn't worry much about bandwidth for a while.

And for a VPS the resources are dedicated to you. It's like shared dedicated servers if that makes sense. Look for a host that gives you root access, the SSH command top will allow you to see what processes are running and the server load. I'd recommend you pay the extra money for a cPanel/WHM license, as WHM has a lot of server functions built into it so you don't have to learn the command line ;)

Shared hosting is really designed to get you started. As you start needing more hosting, you should be making enough to at least help cover server costs.
You could try SiteFrost.com. They offer premium like features for free. All you have to do is post, and you'll get your hosting account. The owner of it also owns a paid hosting company. That's why SiteFrost has such great features.
I would say CXR.CC They are amazing. Its also a post2host if you want more out of it,
He does not need free hosting. Please, read the entire thread.
Pages: 1 2 3