Support Forums

Full Version: MyBB Server Load Unstable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ok well I already overloaded my host, Webhostingpad.com. But I got my website back. Now I checked my server load and it was hitting around 4.6 and so I went searching to figure a way to lower it down and I found a nice tutorial. I followed it and it lowered it down to 3.4. Now I come back to my website to see how it is now and it was peaking past 8. I have no idea what's going on but the website is http://finalprospects.com/forums/

My Plugins that are activated:
Advanced Quick Reply Form (1.0.3)
Auto Media (1.1.4)
Fit on Page (2.2)
Google SEO (1.1.7)
HTML Permissions (2.0)
My Ad Manager (1.1.4)
NewPoints (1.0)
PM On Registration (1.2.0)
You Got Mail (1.0)

***Wasn't sure if I'm suppose to post this here or the Web Server so please move it if it's in the wrong section, Thanks***
Is this shared hosting? If so The most users online at one time was 208 on Yesterday at 08:51 PM

That might explain it. The average shared hosting account can only manage about 30-50 concurrent users at a given time. And the server load doesn't really tell us much without knowing the amount of processors on the server.
how do I go about finding the amount of processors I have? And I know Labrocca gets more than 208 on his site and he's on a shared hosting as well.
Webhostingpad ToS Wrote:WebHostingPad Web Hosting Customer Restrictions

Server Resources

Any Web site that uses a high amount of server resources (such as, but not limited to, CPU time, memory usage, and network resources) will be given the option to reduce the resources used to an acceptable level, or upgrade its service to a VPS plan. WebHostingPad will be the sole arbiter of what is considered to be a high server usage level. Please see our abuse terms for a detailed listing of our resources. Any Web Hosting account deemed to be adversely affecting server performance or network integrity will be shut down without prior notice

That's your problem right there. You're on an oversold unlimited disk space/bandwidth plan. Their limitations are usually a lot more strict than a shared host that doesn't oversell or at least puts realistic expectations.

you Wrote:Advanced Quick Reply Form (1.0.3)
Auto Media (1.1.4)
Fit on Page (2.2)
Google SEO (1.1.7)
HTML Permissions (2.0)
My Ad Manager (1.1.4)
NewPoints (1.0)
PM On Registration (1.2.0)
You Got Mail (1.0)

I'd get rid of Google SEO. It doesn't do anything and just increases the server load.

I can't speak for Omni. I can only tell you based on my almost 8 years experience either working support/abuse for a hosting company or running my own company. The average forum can only handle 30-50 concurrent users on an average server given an average (now a days....oversold) host.

I know the host Omni has has good load balancing measures in place. I don't know about webhostingpad.

If you want to know about the servers send a ticket to your host for the specs. While you're at it, ask them how many accounts they place on the server. Someone here will let you know if it's a decent amount.

From the sounds of it though, it's time you upgrade to a VPS (or a dedi). Also, see This thread on finding the right host for you. It kind of explains a little about the different types of hosting. Also, be warned, if you choose a VPS you'll see performance drop more than likely. As you're going from a server that is probably 8-12GB of RAM to a piece of a server with between 256MB and 1GB of RAM allocated to you. Depending on the server you get. And probably about 700 mhz of CPU and 0 load balancing (as in, the SQL server is the same as the HTTP server)
Thanks I sent a ticket asking for their specs Smile

I added Google SEO because many people claim it as a tool to help grab others who surf on google for sites.
Quote:how do I go about finding the amount of processors I have? And I know Labrocca gets more than 208 on his site and he's on a shared hosting as well.

SF is on a shared host. HF is on 3 servers.

http://finalprospects.com/forums/

If that indeed is the site with 17 posts then you need to get a new host.

btw...the Google SEO (1.1.7) plugin is going to create the most load from that list. I do not recommend you use it unless you fully understand what it is and what it does.
I took it off and ya it dropped below 5...so I guess that's good for now Smile

Thanks
Honestly, if I was running a server and I had an 8 core processor, a server load of 5 wouldn't be much. However, if I was on shared hosting that is still quite a bit. On PWF when I had 57 people on at the same time the server load was hovering just over 1, and that's with a few other sites I have that are resource intensive, plus whatever else my neighbors were running. Really it all boils down to how the load balancing is set up.
Load is 1 per core cpu. So a quad core with a load of 2 is using 50% of it's processing power. a Dual Quad-Core is 8 cores and a load of 8 is 100% of it's proc power.

Also using over 100% only means a wait is required for a process to be completed so another one can open.

I have run HF on a single dual core with a load of 3 average just fine. It's not optimal but it still gets the job done. Right now HF is on 3 servers so load is only 20% of it's possible usage giving plenty of space to deal with spikes and attacks.
Pages: 1 2 3