Support Forums

Full Version: Please recommend a linux distro for archaic machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need to install it on mom and dad's PC. The PC specs: celeron 2.4ghz, 256 ram, geforce 64mb 80GB HDD. need a distro with easy GUI so they don't make me go their place every time something is messed up Smile The PC's cd-rom is broken - i need something that I can install through usb stick. Looking for a distro that's very thrifty when it comes to RAM usage. thanks!
XP, great GUI.
If they're only doing "average" tasks why bother making it harder for them?
You can also remotely support pretty easily (I don't know how hard/easy it is with Linux distros).
TBH, i think they need an upgrade. Even just to one of those $800 piece of crap laptops.
yes they need upgrade but for them spending money on PCs sounds weird... Actually they are on XP in the moment.. so how can I remotely support them ?
What OS are you running?
If your on Windows, it comes with a Remote support tool, but you can get teamviewer to connect a lot more easily.
PuppyLinux or Damn Small Linux
The 2 stated above me, or Xubuntu.
(12-08-2009, 07:03 PM)iBruteforce Wrote: [ -> ]The 2 stated above me, or Xubuntu.

Personally even with that the Ubuntu genera is still big. All Xfce does is quickin' it up a bit. Though I have used it and it is small.
Try Knoppix or Puppy Linux. They barely take anything to run.
One that takes the least i'd have to say Slitaz.