Support Forums

Full Version: Could not initialize the package information [Help]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I just start up my computer and I see this little icon (red circle with a white line) at the update manager to the left of the clock.

And whenI press it it says "Could not initialize the package information".

"An unresolveable problem accurred while initializing the package information

Plese report this bug against the "update-mangaer" package and include the following error message

"E:Line 55 in shell list /etc/apt/sources.list has the wrong format (dist-rendering), E:The list over Shells can't be read.

Sorry if you don't understand buy mt Linux ubuntu OS is installed in Swedish so I tried my best to translate it.
I use The Ubuntu 9 Dist.

Do you know how to fix this problem?

/thx!
Could you post a screen shot maybe?
Here is the screenshot! Smile

http://i47.tinypic.com/aua3ya.png
(12-08-2009, 05:01 AM)Ireqom Wrote: [ -> ]Here is the screenshot! Smile

http://i47.tinypic.com/aua3ya.png

I believe that's a dependency problem.
(12-08-2009, 08:16 AM)Uhriventis Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that's a dependency problem.

Have you tried updating through Terminal?
(12-08-2009, 08:16 AM)Uhriventis Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that's a dependency problem.

Have you tried updating through Terminal?

No I have not. Could you give me a short tutorial on how to do that. I'm pretty new to Linux so I have a lot to learn. Confused

I have to say that I can't even go in to add softwares you know in the applications menu. It say's the same in there.

So I guess there is something I've changed while install my drivers to my network card a few days ago. I added some lines in the Shell to get it work or something.

I hope this can be fixed in an easy way though!
(12-08-2009, 10:07 AM)Ireqom Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried updating through Terminal?

No I have not. Could you give me a short tutorial on how to do that. I'm pretty new to Linux so I have a lot to learn. Confused

I have to say that I can't even go in to add softwares you know in the applications menu. It say's the same in there.

So I guess there is something I've changed while install my drivers to my network card a few days ago. I added some lines in the Shell to get it work or something.

I hope this can be fixed in an easy way though!
[/quote]

Wait you added lines to your shell? What folder and file did you edit?
I added some codes in a folder for my network card drivers. But I used a tutorial to do that and my network card works good now. I dunno if those codes I added might have messed up this updatemanager. But it sounds like it not possible though... hehe

If you look in my thread about having problems with my wireless network in the same forum here you will see the tutorial link that I used. I have to go now! Work interview! haha
I solved the problem this way.

I start the terminal and typed "gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list"
Scrolled down to line 55 wich is the link down here..
and added "main" in the end of that line. and now it works great.

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bisigi/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

I added this and typed "sudo apt-get update" in the terminal.
Works like a charm!
The obvious is always the answer in Linux.
(12-17-2009, 01:55 PM)Uhriventis Wrote: [ -> ]The obvious is always the answer in Linux.

Yeah. that's true! I feel that while solving problems that I have. It's so obvious! that's realy nice with Linux.