Support Forums

Full Version: 32 or 64 bit Mint?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am formatting and Wiping my computer over the next few days and am installing Windows 7 and Linux Mint, I have decided to step up to 64 bit Windows 7 but I am not sure about Mint.

What do people think? How much support is there for 64bit compared to 32bit in terms of both physical support and software support? This is a desktop PC, not a server just to clarify.

Edit: Looking at the website, it appears that Mint 8 does not yet support x64, do you think its worth running Mint 7 x64 or Ubuntu x64 instead? Or just stick with 32bit?
I prefer Ubuntu x64 but if you go with mint id go with 8.
Yeah, I have decided to go with Mint 8 32bit for the time being, Mint is my favorite distro so might as well stick with what I know.
64bit, you don't want to get caught up with the y2k(38) bug!
lol, I dare say that I will be using a new computer by 2038 :p
Hahaha, I found the problem pretty interesting.
Mint is based on Ubuntu. And the 64-bit Ubuntu Forums ( http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=343 ) have been closed for a couple of weeks because they officially announced that there wasn't enough of a need for it. In other words, 64-bit is mature enough.

I'd go for 64-bit. It's what I use and the only problem I've had is the Flash one (a minor one, in that there are workarounds) using Compiz. Everything else works like a dream for me. Thumbsup
A 64-bit operating system can handle large amounts of memory more efficiently than a 32-bit operating system can, a 64-bit system can be more responsive when running several programs at the same time and switching between them frequently.

So if you have a 64 bit computer, use the 64 bit version of ubuntu.