Support Forums

Full Version: Celebrity Domain Laws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Could somebody please outline the laws of owning a domain like:

FirstnameLastname.us of a popular TV show host.

Can I sell the name?
Can I park the name?
Can I own the domain at all?

Thanks.
So long as there is not a registered trademark you are fine.
Okay cool, I have a pretty good .us then.
(12-02-2009, 12:45 AM)Grizzly Wrote: [ -> ]So long as there is not a registered trademark you are fine.

That's not true at all. There is already precedent for famous people to regain their domains via WIPO's UDRP process and also in the US Courts.

Cybersquatting also carries a heavy fine $100,000 per incident in the USA.

Famous names are a dangerous market at this point. A few years ago it was more ambigious but as more and more famous people want their domains they get lawyers and they get victories. Each one is a precedent.
I see. I don't want to tread around in this water. I think I'll just let-go of the domain with Dynadot's grace period or something.
It depends on what you're going to use the domain for. Of course if you're using it specifically for cyber squatting, then yeah, that's a no go. However, if you're using it for a fan site you are fine. There is precedent for that as well.
Cyber Squatting is an actual offense?
In the US Yes it is.
Thank god I'm not in the US then I guess.
(12-03-2009, 04:32 PM)iintens Wrote: [ -> ]Thank god I'm not in the US then I guess.

Lol nice.
Pages: 1 2