Support Forums

Full Version: Should I make this forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been getting into making Mybb themes lately so I was considering making a forum for mybb themes. I know that there are already a lot out there so I'm wondering if I should bother. It would most likely be sort of like mybbcentral with something like a $5 sign-up to get life-time access to all of the themes. (Oh and I'm not talking about it being a competitor, just another resource for Mybb owners Big Grin ) Any thoughts?
I wouldn't make a website about something you're just starting to get into. Become an expert and what you do, produce quality content, then make a website. Unless of course you don't want it to be successful. Also, don't bother with paid subscriptions until you have thousands of members.
(11-28-2009, 05:34 PM)MreGSX Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't make a website about something you're just starting to get into. Become an expert and what you do, produce quality content, then make a website. Unless of course you don't want it to be successful. Also, don't bother with paid subscriptions until you have thousands of members.

Good point. I guess I'm just looking for something to make a website out of.
Make it free for the first few, then start charging money.
I wouldn't make a forum/MyBB themes site, I would make a portfolio for your MyBB themes and if you must charge I think you should start free. I think a better option for monetizing it though would be to offer paid design services and use your free themes as a promotional tool.
(11-28-2009, 07:24 PM)Tim Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't make a forum/MyBB themes site, I would make a portfolio for your MyBB themes and if you must charge I think you should start free. I think a better option for monetizing it though would be to offer paid design services and use your free themes as a promotional tool.

I like this idea. I'll offer a service for custom themes and use my free ones to get my name out there. Thanks.
Making a site about MyBB themes works very well; I used to be the Super Moderator of K! Design (Don't know if anyone's heard of it?) but we did very well. Sadly, K!D closed down unexpectedly, and I don't know what happen to AK74 or any of the guys on there. Sad
People thing that what I did I always did. They make immitation HF or Mybb Central sites every week now. I didn't charge for subscriptions on either site until they were established as viable sites with a reputation. You should never start a site and ask people to pay to be part of it until it's something they "must-have".

I haven't seen your work but it sounds like you're coming from a place with little to zero experience. Spend a year making themes and offering support at MyBBoard.net then consider if you want to begin commercial work.
I was going to make a slightly HF like site when there was that brief period where it seemed HF was going to go away, then when it didn't I scrapped the site lol.

@ OP, the best thing to do is to submit several themes to mybboard.net and see how they are received. Become active on mybboard.net, and start helping people out. Hope on some other mybb sites as well and start getting your name out there.

Then, after a while of creating themes and making sure it's something you'd be interested in really doing for money, throw up a site as a portfolio, not a mybbsource.com/mybbcentral.com type site. There are already enough of them and they never really work out (minus the two I mentioned and a select few others). Then start offering custom work.
Thanks guys. I'm going to be making themes and submitting them to mybboard.net, mybbcentral, and other sites for now. I'm against those imitations just as much as you. The main reason I wanted to make my own site was to have a portfolio of my themes all in one place. The subscription fee thing just seemed to go with the idea. It turns out that all I really need is provided by the Mybboard mods section so I'm set.