Support Forums

Full Version: Mysterious freezing with DVD drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Background
I have a multi purpose optical drive for DVDs and Compact Discs capable of burning and reading discs. It is a Maxtor 6y080p0 ATA device. I am running Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

The Problem
It works fine whenever I put blank CDs in it but whenever I put blank DVDs in it my computer freezes up. It works fine when DVD movies and audio CDs are played on it but whenever there is a blank DVD disc in it my computer will just freeze and stop responding.

The Prompt
Any ideas of the cause? And how to correct it?

Notes
I used to have Windows XP on my computer before I switched to Vista. I did a fresh, destructive install of vista. I have had this problem even when I had Windows XP. If there is any other info needed, I will be happy to provide it.
Try looking for updated drivers from the builder's website.
(11-22-2009, 05:52 AM)Etheryte Wrote: [ -> ]Try looking for updated drivers from the builder's website.

I searched for an updated driver and Windows has determined that I am using the most up to date driver.
3 WORDS:
GET A ASUS
HP sucks, my laptop died just over 2 months ago
The first thing i would suggest is, Go to device manager and uninstall your cd/dvd driver, then restart your computer and it will automatically install the driver again.

Option 2: I am not sure if there's an option in BIOS MODE where it highlights The dvd Driver, If it does/there's an option for your dvd driver make sure is on "AUTO". And also in BIOS Mode, make sure the cable select is set on Secondary IDE and if it's already on Secondary change it to Primary.

Option 3: I guess the brand of the DVD's you are using are really in bad quality. Try to use different type of dvds.

Option 4: maybe it's weird but if you have an anti virus i suggest you shut it down especially if it's Norton.

Good Luck
(11-27-2009, 08:19 AM)4u111 Wrote: [ -> ]The first thing i would suggest is, Go to device manager and uninstall your cd/dvd driver, then restart your computer and it will automatically install the driver again.

Option 2: I am not sure if there's an option in BIOS MODE where it highlights The dvd Driver, If it does/there's an option for your dvd driver make sure is on "AUTO". And also in BIOS Mode, make sure the cable select is set on Secondary IDE and if it's already on Secondary change it to Primary.

Option 3: I guess the brand of the DVD's you are using are really in bad quality. Try to use different type of dvds.

Option 4: maybe it's weird but if you have an anti virus i suggest you shut it down especially if it's Norton.

Good Luck

Hello,
1. I reinstalled the driver: Nothing.

2. I looked in Bios mode and it only offered me the options of PIO 0; MAx PIO 0; Enhanced DMA; Ultra DMA; and Max DMA. Mine was set to Max DMA. It also told me that the cable select was 80 Conductor. I have little idea what any of this means.

3. I'm using NEXXTECH DvDs. Perhaps I'll consider trying new ones. But thats for another time.

4. I have NOD32. It's a very stable AV so I doubt its from that.

I really appreciate the effort and will to help me out though. Thank you.

By the way, when I eject the disc, the computer starts responding and working again. Just some extra info.

(11-26-2009, 04:19 AM)i Failure 88 Wrote: [ -> ]3 WORDS:
GET A ASUS
HP sucks, my laptop died just over 2 months ago

I'm using a desktop but I want to get a laptop and now I definitely know what brand I'm going to get. I looked at the website and they have a nice selection, and they look pretty. Thanks for the recommendation.
I would try a different brand of DVD's before coming to a conclusion that the laptop is bad.
Post back here when you get results.
Dodgy hardware.
Well it sounds like. I have this problem with my DVD drive as well, just a little bit different.
Mine freezes at random times after it hasn't been used for a while. I just unplug the SATA cable when not using it.
I brought it to one of my friends who works at geek squad. He said I should just trash it and give up. So I did. I bought a new one and it works now. I really hate to give up after all the trouble but I needed a DVD drive so I did't have many options. Thanks anyways guys/girls!
Yeah had the same problem with mine for a while. Fixed it self eventually :S
I just used to unplug it when I didn't need it.
Pages: 1 2