Support Forums

Full Version: Improve network performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
By default, Vista SP1 has protections enabled which throttle back network performance while playing a media file. This is to ensure the CPU has enough available cycles to play back the media smoothly; however, it may lead to noticeable network performance deficits, particularly over gigabit.

To turn it off:

Click on the Windows button
Type regedit and hit enter
Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\
Double click the NetworkThrottlingIndex key, and enter FFFFFFFF as the Value data, making sure the Base is set to Hexadecimal
Note that the entry supports values between 1 and 70, and the default is 10. If you enter a numeric value, make sure that the Base is set to Decimal rather than Hexadecimal. The higher the number, the more the throttling is weighted in favour of the network. You may wish to experiment to suit your particular network set-up/media playing needs.
vista fails, go back to XP or move on to 7

good tip tho. thanks
nice tip dude.. thanks
(11-17-2009, 05:36 AM)m4i©3 Wrote: [ -> ]vista fails, go back to XP or move on to 7

good tip tho. thanks

Personally I enjoy Vista way more than 7. Windows Vista runs smoothly. Also, I sometimes get the vibe that Windows 7 is Windows 2000 with transparency.