Support Forums

Full Version: Website and coding skills
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do you think that a webmaster must have decent coding skills before even attempting to set up a website, or that he can start with little experience and learn on the road, when facing up problems?

I would love to listen to experienced members Smile
A webmaster is a master of the web which is going to include some coding skills in order to function in that role.
(10-24-2014, 10:13 AM)Omniscient Wrote: [ -> ]A webmaster is a master of the web which is going to include some coding skills in order to function in that role.

Thank you for the attention Omni c:

I'm wondering how wise would be starting a Mybb board with little knowledge related to html / php and almost none about Mysql databases. One of my dreams is to create my own community and even if i already have ideas related to contents, each time that i think about switching to the practical side i say to myself: "Stop! You cannot pretend to run a Mybb board without first knowing how it works". It wouldn't be professional.

But when i read that Mybb has over 100.000 lines of pure code and i remember that i'm beginner that doesn't even know where to start from, i feel depressed and give up.... so i find myself willing to try in each case, hoping to learn on the road.

On HF you said that you run boards since '87; may i ask if when you launched your first site you were already a skilled coder?
You have to start and have desire and have patience. I suggest you read all you can and experiment. Use a localhost setup like XAMPP or WAMP.
(10-24-2014, 11:30 AM)Omniscient Wrote: [ -> ]You have to start and have desire and have patience.  I suggest you read all you can and experiment.  Use a localhost setup like XAMPP or WAMP.

I will try and hopefully learn something new.
Thank you c:
You have to have some kind of experience if you want to make a decent website. I've been doing web developing for some years now, and I am still learning. I'm not near the top at all, but I will always complete the job. If I run into problems, I usually just search on Google for answers related to my issue.
Most issues have been resolved and commented on other sites such as http://stackoverflow.com/.
Webmaster is very useful to get information about activities happening on our website.
Webmaster should not stop from learning. Experience would be the best asset.
Okay ....thanks for sharing and provide infomation

smithleooo

Thank you for sharing excellent information. Your website is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this website. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this website page.
Pages: 1 2