Support Forums

Full Version: Gentoo Install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about...What Gentoo is all about...

That's right I decided to install Gentoo via VirtualBox. Thank God for Virtulabox - Web browser open to Gentoo's doc page, I follow the pages of instructions and proceed, proceed and proceed.....Hours later(3 1/2) I have what they call a working Gentoo installation...a terminal window...I figure in about a day to a day and one half I should have a window system with some apps all complied and optimized for my system...Is it worth it? Is it worth the waiting, downloading, compiling? Why yes, Gentoo will introduce the willing and able Linux user to a whole aspect of Linux that's taken for granted. You'll glimpse the inner workings, you'll see how the machine is put together(well some of it)...

I think Gentoo would be great warm up for Linux From Scratch....Anyway I must be off Mp3Blaster and its dependencies are compiling/installing - all 53 of them...
Sounds like a whole lot of extra work for little gain...

The only reason I can see for trying this is to get a better understanding of an OS. Have fun! Tongue
Ubuntu will be fine for all.
(11-10-2009, 06:45 PM)Extasey Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a whole lot of extra work for little gain...

The only reason I can see for trying this is to get a better understanding of an OS. Have fun! Tongue

It is but it will expose the Linux user to a whole new layer...
(11-10-2009, 06:45 PM)Extasey Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a whole lot of extra work for little gain...

I wouldn't call it a little gain, your system really does run much faster and it's a lot more secure.

(11-10-2009, 06:46 PM)Phyrrus Wrote: [ -> ]Ubuntu will be fine for all.

Sure it'll be 'fine', Windows will even be 'fine', the point of all the different distributions is finding one that's better than 'fine' for you.
(11-11-2009, 01:30 AM)iintens Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't call it a little gain, your system really does run much faster and it's a lot more secure.

(11-10-2009, 06:46 PM)Phyrrus Wrote: [ -> ]Ubuntu will be fine for all.
Sure it'll be 'fine', Windows will even be 'fine', the point of all the different distributions is finding one that's better than 'fine' for you.

And this is why Linux is great - so many choices and flavours that it allows the user to grow in many directions....
Gentoo is for that of champions; With alot of time to spare that is.
Slackware, all of them is good to dive into if you have a spare computer and the time. I have, it's fun. But, I'm just a fu*king nerd.
I went straight from Ubuntu to Gentoo, and Gentoo on my primary computer.
(12-22-2009, 08:38 PM)Uhriventis Wrote: [ -> ]Slackware, all of them is good to dive into if you have a spare computer and the time. I have, it's fun. But, I'm just a fu*king nerd.

Slackware is awesome , I still use it also, I try every new linux but I always keep returning to slackware
Pages: 1 2